Co2 Problems!!

Jess

All you planted tanks with Co2 wizz's out there, I have problems ;) I made a DIY Co2 unit last night ;) and it started to bubble within 30 mins. Last night I positioned it under a terracotta pot as it was closing on midnight and I didn't feel the need to get my arms wet. Today, I positioned the tubing inside the inlet valve of my cannister, so to get better c02 dispersion. A few hours later I checked my pH, it was 6.8 it had dropped from around 7.1.. I wasn't too concerned yet, although I knew the pH was going to drop even further tonight when the lights were out (when the plants stop needing Co2 and they need O2) By tea time I was beginning to worry about the fish at this stage, they already had a slight pH drop, more to come.... So I removed the tubing from the inlet hose and I placed an airstone on the bottom, so less Co2 dispersion too lower the chances of any greater drops tonight. Now, 4 hours later the pH has drops down to 6.2! Now I am worried! even though it is night now and I am expecting more of a drop, still! Do I add some crushed coral to help buffer the water so not to cause such a large drop again? as I am lowering the kH further by injecting Co2. (I have read theories for and against raising the kH to try to help keep the pH from swinging so drastically.) I do not know what the kH is out of the tap, but I am guessing it is low. Any suggestions? Tank 50G pH was 7.1 GH 8 Substrate - River sand Co2 is DIY with not regulator bubbling at a rate of 1 bubble per second. Thanks ;)

I was wondering that if it was producing too much Co2 aswell. But I don't think it is for a 50g. Or is it? ;) I know I can cut down the amount of Co2 in the water buy changing the way I disperse it. Oh I had a memory jog when speaking to mouse about it! I had bad buffering problems with my marine tank last year, due to the kH!! I was using AZOO kH plus ! So I do have a prob with kH, I knew it!! I so need a hagens masterkit, will stop all this guess work and stress!

Do you have an air pump set up on a timer to come on when the lights go out? This is the easiest way to stop things going bung o'night. I would love to help more, but when i did it, it was in highpH water, and i had no test kit for hardness, so i have no idea what to suggest really. I had 1bubble/sec on a 20, and it only dropped 0.6 in pH, so i'm not much help. not enough data.

The pH seems to be stable at 6.4 at the moment, I do not want to stress the fish any further by raising it again so soon. So I will add small amounts of shell gritto slowly raise kH/pH over the next few days. I am aiming for 6.8-7.0 constant pH with Co2 being dispersed via the cannister :poke: The fish are coping fine, no gasping or odd behavior, though I will be watching out for any breakout of ich :scold: Thanks guys :devil:

The tank is stable at 6.8 for 3-4 days now :o I slowly added shell grit (what a pain opening the cannister daily!) Now, I just have to restock most of the plants that were destroyed in the "Big Dark" :D At least my other planted tank has non fussy plants that live in it, they never recieve any attention from me - never have in the 12 years I have had that tank - Bless UGF!

• 7 months later...

sorry to dig up an old post but i recently tried a DIY CO2 unit using the method outlined here (ie the 2 cup water, 2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast mixed in 1/4 cup water) but nothing happened ? The yeast i used was "Lowan instant dried yeast". What recipe and brand of yeast did you use if you dont mind sharing?

I use exactly the same yeast as you use and I kinda followed that exact webpage also, but changed it a little.. I use a 2L bottle and mix up approx 1.5L of tepid water with 2 cups of sugar and I shake it around and while I am waiting for it to dissolve I get 1 cup of cool/tepid (not warm) water and mix in a heaped 1/4 teaspoon of yeast. Once the yeast has dissolved in the cup of water I then add the cup of water to the bottle and shake, add the lid with the hosing attached and place the end of the tube in the tank. I keep the bottle inside a bucket incase of spillage also. This lasts about 8-10days for my 4ft tank. If you add more yeast, say 1/2 teaspoon its produces more and runs out faster. oh, if the water is too warm it makes it inactive or something, so make sure its cool/tepid :dance:

Yeast is alive, you need to baby it a little to make sure it gets to reproducing :dance: luke-warm water should get it moving :cheer: make sure your bottle is sealed up around the tube joins too :fish: Mine took a day or so to get going when I did it as the weather was cooler, maybe you are having the same problem :)

in cooler weather the fermentation is slowed. In summer it will go gangbusters. In winter I used to put my bottles in a bucket of water with a small heater in it, or on top of the tank light to warm it up (on top is not so hot, if the stuff siphons into your tank, though).

hmmm, sounds like i did things right then so i guess its a temperature thing? I used his method of sterilising the sugar and water by pouring boiling water into the bottle and shaking it around but didnt add the yeast until it was easily room temperature, and then the yeast was first added to a cup of lukewarm water and vigourously stirred... must just be a bit unlucky. Still i guess having no CO2 is better than having an explosion of CO2 and yeast etc! I will try again. I did find that adding the boiling water to the bottle basically destroyed the bottle though, it is all gnarled and weird from the heat. I did my best to pressure test the hose fitting by capping the empty bottle, fitting the hose, holding it under water and squeezing as hard as i could so its at least reasonably well sealed. Thanks for the help! P.S im giving up on this one as its been a week now with not one bubble :scared:

It doesn't really need to be sterile, within a day or two it'll turn into pretty potent alcohol anyway, and that'll kill anything within cooee! With the bucket thing, i've heard of that working well before, but also, even if you aren't using the water in the bucket to heat the CO2, you might want to consider it anyway as you can strap the bucket to the stand and that should ensure that you aren't going to accidentally kick over the bottle (which is messy and requires all new tubing :scared:)

Wow, neverthought of heating the water in the bucket. I just have a bucket so no leakage would go on the floor, but if there is an explosion, well then, I don't think anything could help that :scared:

depends how fast it bubbles. 1 - 2 weeks, depending on time of year, ime. The faster it bubbles the faster it will use up the sugar. Stefan, a DIY is basically a home brew kit. Ever sniffed the outcome before draining the bottle? It's beer! Milky, cloudy, foul stinky beer.

Archived