Croaking gouramis

Chuckie

I have had a few croaking gouramis for months - since the 1st SBG in April, actually, because I remember they were in QT then.

Anyway, today I removed the last of the evil krib problem children from the tank they're in, gave them a few round takeaway container lids on the surface and an IAL, and they're beginning to act like proper little anabantids. I am hoping that some bubble nesting will soon occur. They are such cute pies! Not as small as sparkling gouramis, but still really cute and interesting.

Images

Info

Sounds like they breed exactly like bettas. I won't be lowering my tank to 8cm or removing anybody though! I'll just see if they spawn and watch what happens.

Hi Lisa, this sounds like fun!

I have a pair of sparkling gourami but they are yet to build a nest. They were extremely shy at first but are becoming more boisterous now. They love a good bloodworm :D They seem to love hanging around my anubis and under the banana lillies. What sort of plants do you have for them to build nests under?

Damn... what brilliant fish!!! Sounds almost like a cricket chirping in that vid on the croaking gouramis. The sparkling gouramis are a nice looking fish too - never seen either types before up here.

All the best for them breeding for you Lisa and you too Lyarlla if you have a pair too.

The clown loaches that I used to keep made lots of loud clicking noises at night, (every night). They sounded like tiny hammers tapping on the glass. - Brad

(P.S. just watched the croaking gourami youtube vid. That's a hoot!) :D

Edited by Brad

(P.S. just watched the croaking gourami youtube vid. That's a hoot!) :D

First time I watched that video I was awake at maybe 2am doing an assignment and it had me in stitches!

"Apparently" its hard to get decent quality sparkling gourami in NSW because a lot of them exhibit signs of being inbred too much. I have tried to get my hands on more but my lfs actually told me the ones they were able to get at the moment werent very decent due to that reason but if they were able to source better quality ones theyd give me a call.

Hey Lisa,

How many of them survived? Ive got about 20 more if you wanted to add some numbers to your lil colony.

Apparently all sparkling gourami's are wild caught in countries like thailand. Im pretty sure that the croakers are wild caught too.

I'm stoked to hear that these are doing well! 'Hear', get it? . . . Anyway . . .

Auburn had some adorable looking little sparkling gouramis the other day, they are around. But for croaking, you might have to talk to Phil! :)

. . . Or, soon, Lilli!! :)

Edited by killimike

• 1 month later...

There are only 2 left, and I had to move them out of the 80L to make room for betta grow-out. But I could only catch one, lol, so now ther're separated. I figured if they hadn't bred by now there wasn't much point wasting 80L on 2 fish.