Convict questions

argylebetta

I don't know much about breeding Convicts apart from they are very easy to breed and the female guards the eggs. Your female is gorgeous, Good luck finding a male and good luck spawning them :drool: I saw a pair of opaque convicts at St Kilda Aquarium and they had babies in the same tank, it was gorgeous to see :(

Convicts are rabbits and will breed in just about anything. they do get aggressive and protective. Nice looking young female your won't have anywhere near that amount of colourand should be just slightly larger than the female. Have quite a few hiding holes for the female as the males do tend to knock the female about a bit. Last time I had convicts - started with six and ended up with a few thousand in six months ran out of tanks and got rid of them all. Graeme :drool:

Thanks all for that info....much appreciated. I went over to pick up a slightly larger male and the tank had white spot in it which was on two new fish, some sort of larger cichlid, that the guy had introduced a few days before so I left them as he would not sell one for a time. He has an opaque one at the right size and said the offspring would be 50-50 so I may get him. I hope to get one by the end of the week because I think the female is starting to fall for me. Rob

if you get a standard male, look for one only slightly larger than the female at max - big boys will knock her around. Get one with nice straight bars and good colour. There are a lot of convict x blue eyes getting around, so make sure the colour is strong - greyed out may indicate blue eye blood. Graeme has covered most of the bases - cover to hide in, a pot or nice flat stone for them to spawn on. pH neutral to slightly alkaline. They eat anything and are fairly tolerant of water quality. Good luck, she is a nicely coloured girl. CHeers, J

Hi someone thanks. I only found the one male with even full bars both sides but he was a touch smaller than her so I opted for the white fella. I'll set them up nicely on the weekend....ta. I'll have to heed Graeme's warning on the prolific breeding of them though.

:blink: Nah mac donalds today Robbie....no fillet of convict. Not sure if the offspring will be 50-50 or 100% either way. Find out soon hopefully.

Got him Faewyn. Here is the only pic I got today. I'll try to get a good close up of them when they have settled in.

Posted Image

They will go into a 3 foot planted tank with plenty of hiding spots after the weekend.....jeez he can eat !!!. Yeah faewyn, Robbie, I started taking more notice of albino/opaque varieties in different types of fish this year. I tend to study the whites in a shop tank more than the average ones...I dont know why really. A couple of months ago I took off to buy 8 or so moss green barbs and came home with 7 of the albino type tiger barbs. Marble bettas are really starting to hit my eye too. I have not seen opaques with a naked eye yet but I bet they are even nicer than a pic would show.

Yeah faewyn, Robbie, I started taking more notice of albino/opaque varieties in different types of fish this year. I tend to study the whites in a shop tank more than the average ones...I dont know why really.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cos you know they might be tasty when lightly simmered with lime juice poured over them?

:eadshake:

Archived