beanie box set up

miha1967

Slightly different answer to the one you asked for, but I plan to get glass lids cut that will cover 5 or so boxes at once , so I can dispense with the beanie box lids (unless needed for a show etc) and all I have to do to feed is lift the lid on 5 boxes at once.

Not sure if that's helpful, just thought it might be an alternative to trying to cut neat holes in the lids.

I drilled holes in each of my lids. The holes aren't big. I think I only used a 5mm drill bit. I then made a small paper funnel which I use to feed them with. I only feed pellets so these slide pretty easily down the funnel. My first version of the funnel was just paper. But these got wet and got ruined easily. I then laminated the next one just with sticky tape which worked really. But then, one day at Coles, I found a set of 3 plastic funnels in 3 sizes. The smallest size was absolutely perfect for the holes I'd made in my beanies. So that's what I use now. But I still only feed pellets. I don't feed my fish much live or even frozen food. They get sick too easily when I use live food. But if I ever felt it was really necessary to feed live food, I think I'd get a large syringe, mix the live food with water and use the syringe to feed through the holes. Opening each lid is a huge pain. And too big a hole could allow the fish to jump out. I like Lilli's solution of a glass lid that spans several boxes. It wouldn't work in my barracks because the drip inflow goes through the lid as well, but I can see it working very well if your setup allows it.

I have used a soldering iron to make holes in the lids,

you have to make sure you are out side and down wind''as the smell and fumes

are a bit rough

I find its quicker and quieter than a drill that can crack them

Thanks everybody. I did start with the iron but they were looking verymessy and the smell was awfull. I did drill 4 little holes each lid for the first beanie boxes I bought (10) and took quite a long time and I couldn't feed through them so I prefered to not have the lids on then to take them off and put them on for every feed. Now I drilled a few with a special circle piece, the smallest I could find, about 2cm in diameter, the thing used to cut a circle in furniture to pass the connections for TV and stereo, etc. It looks neat and I think will do the job.

• 1 month later...