Another new starter from Canberra

pedask

Hi, my name is Peter from the ACT. I have an 8 and 6 yr old who have gotten me into tropicals (oncluding bettas) since Jan 09 after the wife's run on goldfish came to an end.

We have a 4ft community tank with the bettas being a feature fish. Had a nice (we thought) blue/red male and two females which were doing quite nicely for several months until recently. One female died after having what looked like a fit/stoke and then 3 weeks later, got up this morning and the male had up and died overnight for no apparent reason. Ah well, will have to find some more, I guess, as the bettas are too nice not to have.

Have found fish to be addictive - waiting for some renovations to be done so we can get some more tanks - how do you stop?

Hey there Peter. Yes it always seems to start with a couple of innocent little fishies.... But the best part is, I've found there to be plenty of very knowledgeable people on this forum to encourage you in your betta addiction and give you tips on all things betta (and, it seems, other fish too) ;)

Welcome to this friendly and very helpful forum. That's how I started, not taking it seriously and now I spend most of my time researching about or doing maintenance work for my fish. I really need a reality check because my heart doesn't let my sell or give away the fish I am breeding and is getting really crowdy. Anyway if you are interested in Bettas and want to learn more this is the place to be!

Cheers

Hi Peter welcome.

I don't see it as addiction really! Just an unresistable urge to have one more, and then one more... and then they breed so you need a tank for the fry, tank for the juvies, a tank because it was cheap you couldn't pass it up. Someone offer you free tanks, what are you going to say? No? Don't be ridicules! Then you realize you have dozens of tanks but not the right size one for what you want to do/achieve. Then you get interested in other aquatic fish and critters; and you are not going to give up on your existing fish so... you'll need another tank.

What is the definition of addiction anyways?

• 4 weeks later...