New Tank, Old water is it cycled?

Bender

I am under the impresion that as I have used a sponge filter that was already in another tank, some filter fiber from another filter and water from my girls tank that this little tank may already be cycled, so I won't see the rise in amonnia and nitrates of the water cycle, and would be ok to add fish now. The problem is I'm having a confidence crisis induced by hubby asking twice if I was sure I was sure, and need someone else to confirm or correct this theory for me! Please let me know.

Leprechauns are always sure to be sure to be sure!!! :lol:

I reckon it would definitely be cycled with all you've done... you could always just add a couple of fish and keep an eye on it and test it over a few days to be even more sure...

I tend to treat it as cycled but not 100% stable. I like about 2 weeks for things to settle before I start doing naughty things like overfeeding or cleaning or overstocking etc :P

Still go easy on feeds and stocking for the first little while, and be sure to add the first fish fairly quickly so the bacteria colonies you transfer have something to eat, otherwise they start to die back and your stocking level has to decrease accordingly until it builds up again. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that water is not very important. I know a lot of people use old water thinking that it is cycled, and it certainly won't hurt, but a majority of the bacteria are in little biomatrices (? is that a word?) on the surfaces in the aquarium, so transferring surfaces (filter media, gravel, plastic plants etc) helps more than transferring water :yes:

I added 5 little betta this morning, and they are quite happy :fun: That makes sense Callatya, I had also put in drift wood and plants form the other tank, so I guess they would have bought bacteria with them too. The tank is to go back to it's owner on Sunday so I just carved a tiny scoop from a piece of chopstick to address the feeding issue, it only holds just the right amount for the five girls.

QS I've used a product like that called stability, but had mixed results. I don't think I'd use it to set up a tank if I had the option of using a seeded filter, but it did help things recover after antibiotic treatment knocked the filter out.