Need A New Heater...

finley

Hi

I need to replace my old Visi-Therm heater a.s.a.p. because its thermostatic control has become very poor - way too much swing. Which heaters currently on the Australian market are good - i.e. precise stable temperature, safe, reliable, etc? Which are dodgy - i.e. crack, overheat, fail, etc?

Are Orca any good?

Thanks,

Finley

I use Rena Cal, Sicce and AquaOne, and have not had a problem with any of them so far. I know of people that have had issues with all those brands, but so far mine have been fine. The Rena is about 9 years old and the Sicce are about 8, and the AquaOne would be close on 4 I think. I don't have them in constant use at the moment, but they are pretty reliable.

Jager are the most commonly recommended brand that I know of, but there are not that many stockists over here.

The main issue with heater failure is that the heaters stick ON rather than fail completely and die, so it is a good idea to get two separate heaters of a lower wattage rather than one of the higher wattage if your tank is big enough, just as a safety measure. Because of the thermostat in them, if one sticks on the other should not come on to heat at all, so one low powered heater stuck on is going to heat the water slower than one high powered heater stuck on. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does give you more time to notice the problem and correct it. :)

Jager are supposed to be more efficient than most other heaters - they are also a lot more expensive & longer. I've had a Fluval Tronic heater about 1 1/2 yrs and found it reliable & accurate (as in not much variation in tank temp). Another Tronic I had stopped working but I got it secendhand & it did stop by not heating which is better then overheatiing!

Particularly if you're only heating a smaller tank with 1 heater then don't go for a cheap heater as small tanks can fluctuate in temp faster than large tanks so the heater is stressed more by switching on & off more often.

Heaters can be dangerous things because as said they stick on. Happens very rarely, only once to me and luckily I found it before it got to too much over 30. But there is the element of risk, how much of one are you willing to take.

That said, the fanciest heaters I have ever owned are Sera, which addicted2cichlids had at bargain basement prices, so I have a pile. But others are all AquaOne or whatever it's called, came with a six month warranty :-) I prefer the Sera, but have really only had the one problem all this time.