Penn Plax Filter - DIY Cartridges

Callatya

Just thought I'd pop this up.

Its almost cheaper to buy a brand new unit here than the refills, so I thought this might be useful to the thrifty among us :) (and those who don't care for carbon :))

you need a hacksaw or something similar, silicone, elastic bands, and filter media (zeolite, carbon, filter floss, sponge, peat, shellgrit, whatever you want :D

*saw through the front sections of the bottom of the cartridge. This should just be two little green sticks.

*carefully try to lever the base from the back of the cartridge. sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, saw it off.

*empty contents, and set sponge aside of you plan to re-use it.

*wash out container (if its filthy, scrub with toothbrush) and leave to dry off.

*refill with loose material and finish filling with either floss or the sponge. check that the base fits back on easily Do not pack too tightly, you need free movement of water.

*apply silicone to the sections that join the pase, and use elastic bands to hold the base in position until the silicone dries :D

Voila! cheapy customised filter cartriges! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you lose the bottom piece, I just traced another one and made it out of acetate sheeting, but ice cream bucket or overhead sheet would work just as well :D

Not quite sure if they fit exactly Calla - but they are a similar size and design but clear not green. They say "replace" but I just open the cartridge (no force necessary) rinse and squeeze out the sponge, and rinse or rplace the carbon pad (or just leave it out depending on which tank it is in). I'm looking at sometimes using thet "Cut-Your-Own" Carbon pad which I have for the couplke of HOBs I have here. Cheers, Di

• 3 years later...

Just thought it would be good to bump this post, as I have been using the idea for a while now. Thank you!

Simply through mistake while following your excellent instructions badly, I have developed another way of doing this. I found that a sharp blade (stanley knife) run around the seam of the back section would allow the back piece to be levered of without removing the bottom. I then re-attach it using thin cable ties about an 2cm from the top and bottom, so no glue is needed, and the next change you only have to snip the cable ties. You have to be careful to cut the ends of the ties so that they are completely flat, or they may become a fishy hazard, so perhaps rubber bands would be better, but I can never find those when I want them!

Now I just need to find a way to make it run quietly, that chirpy little bloop blop blop bloop blop is a bit much to bear at 3am!

I mainly run the black cylinder ones too, but I find these are handy for tanks where floorspace is an issue (mainly for decorating rather than actually needing more free floor area) or if you need to run something with media in a tiny tank. I do wish they came in something other than that strange aqua green, but hey ;) can't have everything :)

Are these still legally for sale in Australia?

They were taken off here for simply not being effective enough....how good are they compared to HH sponge filters? I can pick a job lot of these up cheaply, but always wrote them off as not being good enough.

Any info is appreciated.

James :)

I find they are quite effective, but that is with a betta or two at most. They are not the ideal system, as the flow they create hinders any bubble nest production, but in a small tank where you'd rather not have another device to plug in they are good, especially as I can run three off one air pump. I also wash the filter fiber out or replace it monthly, and I think that would help. I don't think they'd cope with goldfish quite as well, and I'd expect that would be where most people would have been using them.

There are two main problems I see with them for general use. The first is that the refills are an expensive item to buy, especially when compared to the cost of running a corner filter, and I suspect many people would put of replacing them until they are far too clogged to be working. The second is that the inability to remove the carbon makes it difficult to treat even minor fish diseases without removing the filter, which would also remove the source of aeration.

Both of these problems are addressed once you make the cartridge refillable!

(P.S. Do you get stuck with this awful American spelling editor too? It wants me to drop U's and S's all over the place and add Z's in where I've never seen them before!)

Yeah, it depends on the stocking. I use them in 2USG tanks with one or two fish in them, and really the flow through them isn't brilliant but they do pick up some detritus and keep the water circulating. I also like that I can pack them with whatever, so I can clip one out and replace it with full zeolite or carbon or whatever. I don't ever rely on them for stability or biofiltration, purely mechanical and chemical. Anything over that size tank or stocking and you'd be pushing it I think.

I prefer UGFs but trying to find plates and uplifts for tiny tanks is not all that easy. I did spot some the other day that should fit, but they didn't have the uplift tubes for them (???)

I don't have any plans to hand, but I remember seeing DIY UGs designed a few ways.

One was with narrow rigid plastic piping with holes drilled in it, looked maybe 1cm?, all connected to a central pipe running along the back. This is buried in the gravel and then can be connected either to a canister or an airstone, depending on which direction you want the water to flow. You don't get a plate with a gap underneath, but you circulate water under the gravel.

Other way is more like the bought ones, you simply drill lotsa tiny holes in a shallow plastic tray. Then you place this upside down in the bottom f the tank and cover with gravel! I wouldn't know where to get them, but probably better to use something stronger, like the stuff they make fruit crates out of, rather than say, the lid off of a plastic storage tub.

Yes, it is US gallons. Unfortunately my fishy world started on an Australia based forum that was dominated by american members, so I have a lot of trouble thinking in litres (unless it comes to drug doses) and tend to slip that way. The tanks are about 7-8L.

Not really, you'd be better off with a small power filter or one of the heavy black cylindrical sponge filters for that size. In a pinch you might be able to run 2 and squeak by, but it would not be very efficient.

Oh, also, big warning - Don't use these with betta fry, they get stuck in the cartriges. For fry you'll want to use the black cylindrical ones as they are less likely to get stuck in there :(.

Archived