mmmm discus

lpiasente

I have been having a look lately at discus, they are sooooooo beautiful. I love the way the pair up and how they look after their babies. Their babies are the cutest fry ever. I am gong to have a look at some real ones tomorrow. Does anyone here have discus?

My next tank (when I have written permission to buy one) will be a Discus/Angel tank. I love them, too. Must be one of the most beautiful

Tropical Freshwater fish going around.

Have fun with that...I can't wait to get my own!!

I really want Discus too! Apparently I'm getting another 4ft here in the next few weeks and haven't decided what to do with it yet. The ex may have dibs on what I have to do with it seeing as he's the one giving it to me but if he says I can do what I like I might look into discus. I saw some stunning ones at the LFS the other day 4 for $100! expensive hobby we've all gotten into!

Thats a good price. They are up there in price but they live for a long time. My brother has had them for years and did quite a lot of breeding. Never had a problem selling off the babies. Not that I am going to breed . Poor thng he was given this new fandangal heater to try and see what ya think from his lps and it cooked all of his beautiful discus. Too devestated to go back into them but he is starting to get the urge again and I know when he sees mine tht will be the end of him.

I had a look thanks Lilli. They really are beautiful. I got 4 today for $100.00 2 x can't remember (they are blue and red) 1 x red melon and 1 x pidgeon red. I made sure water conditions are all suitable so heres hoping all will go well. I will post some pics once they have settled in.

I'm jealous Ipia ,what are the requirements to keep discus is there anything special required or do you just put them in and let them do their thing........l've always admired them but never had the money to buy them ...lyrical

Yeah they are a little skiddish but they are suppose to get used to the movement around them. They will have to here I have 3 boys. I have good filtration plenty of hidey spots, temp at 29 and softer water. Think that's it for starters. I hope all goes well. They are already out and about and feeding, colours are good and fins held high. :)

What is the smallest sized tank that a discus can kept in if you only had 2 ......along with 2 panda cories???.............l lost my last male fighter tonight he was my Halfmoon l got for my birthday in january from Bettarazzi .....Michael it was "Knickers" l found him dead on the bottom of the tank ..l'm really sad ....Can discus be kept in a 25 litre tank with 2 panda cories???????

Oh Lisa I am sorry knickers was beautiful. What happened?

No Discus need a much larger tank than 25 litre. They actually can grow to the size of a dinner plate and they need to be kept in groups of 4 or more. This is what I have been told by someone who as kept and bred discus for years.

I dont want to hijack your thread Ipia .....but l just found him dead on the bottom of the tank l dont know what happened coz he wasnt very old ......now all l've got is 5 females in my 40 /48 litre all in one ..........with an assortment of other fish ......l dont have any room for a big tank to keep discuss....and lc ant afford tobe replacing fish who die ....sigh!!!

Discus are the best and are very easy to keep.

I have 7, 12-15cm adults including 2 wild caughts aswell as 4 smaller 8cm ones. My pair lay eggs every week (eggs get eaten by catfish)

Main thing you have to do to be successful is have good filtration, good food, good water quality, higher temps and most importanly start with good healthy fish :)

What size tank/s do you have them in phil ..........sigh!! I wish l could afford a 3 foot tank toget discus l've always wanted them ...Plus l live in a 2 bedroom apartment and l've got 4 tanks going now ranging from a hexagonal 5 litre up to a 48litre all in one .sigh!!!

Fighters tis called a husband who says no more and a lack of money.........l'd love to knock a hole in one of the walls in the living room and put a 3 to 4ft in the wall but my husband keeps saying no.......dirty stop out that he is.........

Mine are in a 4x2x2 tank so i guess a big tank makes it easy for me. Im sure u could get a few babies and raise them in a smaller tank, either pass them on when they get too big and get some new ones or upgrade if possible :)

I was thinking of putting them in with the Tiger Oscar, should be too big for him to eat them....well too round anyway lol. Just gotta whack a heater in his tank for them I guess. I've got a 300W hanging around somewhere not being used.

Archived