Betta companions...

Ghengis

I realise this has likely been asked a hundered times before, but I'm gonna ask it again.

What are suitable tankmates for Female Betta's? I have finally gotten the $hit$ with the remaining Flame Gourami in my 70.

I came home yesterday and my girl is missing another large chunk from a fin...she just recovered from the last one!! He also

seems to be getting real angry, as well. We actually thought these two were going great together...alas.

So, come the weekend, he'll be bagged up and off to an LFS....

As you may already know, I have four Red Eye Tet's in the tank also and they are fine, just keeping to themselves all the time.

I want to get something(s) else, though. Already have planned for a couple Cory Cats, so how 'bout some ideas? Not too fussed

on Neons or Guppies, but whatever it is/they are, will need to be not overly aggressive and kind to plants, as this is a planted tank.

What do you think of Swordtails? Kissing Gouramis? Barbs? Anything??

Cheers in advance

Barbs are very territorial and mean when not kept in large schools. I have a school of 9 and I keep them in their own 60L tank because I don't want to risk them with my female bettas. Any kind of peaceful tetra would be good. I love Harlequin Rasboras and a school of them is just stunning. The little bumblebee gobies I got last week seem ok in a planted tank. I haven't caught any of them nibbling on my Jungle Val. I know you said you are not keen on Neon's but honestly IMHO there is nothing more stunning that a large school of Neon's shoaling through the tank, and by large school I mean like 15-20. I can sit there and watch them for hours. In fact I fell asleep watching the bumble bee's last night hahahah. I'm upgrading the female betta/community tank to a 90L tonight (resealed it 3 days ago so it's all sweet to go now) and am trying to think of what to put in there myself now that I can stock it a little more. I will probably go with neons and harlequins. Let us know what you go with. Oh and I think you will find kissing gourami just as aggressive as the flame, but I can't comment on the swordtails as I've never kept them.

Good Luck

Hi Ghengis :D

I'm not really that much of a fish expert, still learning about what gets along with what ..

I just know I will never ever buy tiger barbs again... I had 2 of them in with my guppies, Platy and neons ( and loaches at the time), and they were so aggressive and nasty !!!!!! One ended up dying (karma hehe!), but the remaining one was just as bad on his own, so i took him out. Best move i ever made, now the fish all get along nicely together :P

Platys are fairly calm from my observations, I'm going to add more of them to my new tank.

I'm about to experiment soon with some red eyed tetras in my new tank :)

Well, I'm not too sure what happened between this morning and this evening, but somehow I've managed to buy a bunch of Neons at the LFS and now they're in my tank :P

Still curious about the Swordtails, though (or anything else that's fairly pretty), so any help with those would be great...

Ive tried neons and found them nippy , whiteclouds were a bit nasty also..I like the corydora catfish with my bettas as they occupy the bottom of the tank , are not nippy and act as a cleaning service for the tank and the bettas find them fascinating . There is no real pecking order as each likes different areas of the tank.

If though the bettas do decide to have a stand off with the corys its all huff and puff and no one gets hurt and Im sure by the way the corys act they are laughing at the bettas.

Swords should be fine, same with platies. Harlies or lambchop rasboras would also work well.

If you want barbs, go with cherry barbs. Most others, save possibly rosy barbs, have aggression issues and do best in larger schools. Kissing gouramies won't appreciate the size of the tank and they can also be very huffy with other fish.

What about kuhli loaches? would your substrate be OK for them?

Our girls (3 of) are in with 11 guppys , 4 kuhli loaches (ethan's snake fish), Phil the BN cat , Mr Chew the peppered cat, and buzz the bumble bee goby. The only problem I have is coming up with new names :P and working out why 1 of the borneo sword has droped all of its leaves

Our girls (3 of) are in with 11 guppys , 4 kuhli loaches (ethan's snake fish), Phil the BN cat , Mr Chew the peppered cat, and buzz the bumble bee goby. The only problem I have is coming up with new names :P and working out why 1 of the borneo sword has droped all of its leaves

And 40 odd shrimp...

^ Domestic bliss?? ^

Nippy Neons, you say?? Hmmm..well I'm hoping all will be well, since they are with a female Betta and there are

no long fancy fins racing around. Fingers crossed...

I'm now starting to question whether I'm going to end up over crowding my tank. I know the filtration will probably

be OK, but with four Red Eye's, ten Neons, two Albino Corey's, a female Betta or two AND possibly three Swords (a

male and two femmes), there may not be the room for everyone to have their own little piece of space... 70L isn't

that big, especially with a bunch of plants taking up a fair chunk of room...

Thoughts?

I've always found mollies and platys go well with bettas. sometimes the males get a bit randy though and try to bred with the bettas and it can really agitate them. Sometimes my males would just pick a fish from the community tank and "court" it to the point of madness

Archived