my glass barracks

divy

ok well i decided to take some pics of my new barracks ive been setting up, its allmost finnished except i havnt got the tahitian moon sand yet and the mini driftwood with anubias nana attached and at the moment im buying new hm's on aquabid to stock it

ok so pic1 which im actually a little worried about cause to me the light looks a little bright and im worried it might blind the bettas

light is the HAGEN GLO T5 HO Ballast Unit with one Hagen Life-Glo T5 Tube 6700K 39w

P1010006-1.jpg

pic2 back of the tank

1.jpg

pic3 back compartment, ive got a fluval plus1 internal filter which is used for the drip system, theres also a aqua-one 100w heater and a aa uv sterilizer

you can also see that ive put the drip system outlet hoses threw the back divider

2.jpg

P1010016.jpg

pic4 the front of the back wall showing the outlet hose

P1010010.jpg

Good on ya Divy, watching Stargate Atlantis in the background!!! lol. That's a character named Tayla in case u didn't know Brett :P. It looks awesome dude! Especially love the filter box, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was professionally made!

lmao brett,

the cabinet i actually bought from target but i customized it with stronger legs, made the top into a lid for easy cleaning and feeding and lowered the shelf that the tank is sitting on for the tank to fit inside

cass i didnt make that filter box :P the one i made out of perspex i stepped on and i was soo cut that i would have to make another one but then i saw that box and figured it would work better because it was more air tight so it would suck the water threw better

i gotta say cutting the foam background was hard because i had to cut 6 pieces and if one was cut 1mm too skinny you could really notice it so im glad i took my time with that

what do you all think of the light? too bright?

Oh bugger! I missed Stargate again. :P Very nice setup. You're such a neat boy. But I'm missing the baby blue faux fur covering. :P kidding! I think the light should be fine. You could use some floating water sprite to provide cover if you think they need it. You could grow some serious plants under that light.

thanks mike i was hoping to get your aproval :P

thats a good idea i will get some floating water sprite to provide them with some cover

as for plants i was only going to put one of these in each section unless some one can suggest a nicer way to plant up this tank??

or maybe just some val aswell against the background??

f06.jpg

oh i know you really like the faux fur sub box so if you really want you can have it i understand :P lmao!

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to put the plants in there before i started to cycle the tank but i got a email saying that my plants will be here in around 2weeks and my thai bettas will be here in around 3weeks which means there wont be much time for the tank to cycle before the bettas come so i decided to fill the tank up put my females in there and start to cycle the tank now and when the plants come ill just siphon out most of the water plant it and then fill it back up

when i filled it up today and turned on the filter the filter (fluval1 200lp/h) wasnt strong enough to power the drip system so i ran down to the lfs and bought another internal filter that is 400lp/h and now it runs really good

and put in the females from my first spawn

heres a pic with the girls in the tank, waters a lil cloudy and i havnt filled it up all the way cause i just want to keep an eye out on the dripsystem for awhile

P1010001-1.jpg

i was a little bit worried about the males seeing each other all the time but im kind of hoping that because there large tanks and there will be plants in each tank that if they get annoyed by seeing the other males they can hide in and around the plants

what do you think?

I think you just need to see how it works out. I know some people don't card their males at all. I've been trying to get hold of some plastic corrugated board for my barracks but in the meantime none of the fish are carded. They've been like that now for a few weeks. They seem ok. You can always put more plants along the dividers to block their view. Maybe even a moss wall.

or you could get something opaque and just card off half of each barracks (the back half of course), then they can pick and choose when they want to look and flare at their neighbours :) (at the front so you can take pics)

thanks guys

yeah mike you read my mind i was thinking once the val fills out it will look pretty good, but i have to re-plant 1 of the val because it lifted up abit when i filled it back up so i can see about 5mm of the roots

here are they boys that will call this tank home

L001.jpg

BIGBLUEDEVIL-2021AQUASTAR7137.jpg

16branchgreenmaskohmpaid23.jpg

K006.jpg

]

Archived