Jarring Fry - Coke Bottles how to clean them?

brettc777

Hi

Im going to be jarring my fry soon and i wanted to know whats the best way to clean a coke bottle for jarring

I have just filled 21 up with hot water and im going to let them sit for a few hours, anything else that is recommended?

Do you think the glue that sticks the labels on will present a problem?

Thanks

i jr mine in coke bottles and coz the label glue is on the outside it's only a visability problem, i only rinsed mine twice before using them and i havn't lost any fish (in the coke bottles anyway, thinks... maybe everyone should be moved to the bottles)

... i could have done more lol

What do you think is best, putting small holes in the coke bottle to let water past through or no holes. I want to cut down on walk so i have an 80 litre storage container they will fit about 15 bottles and i have filter in there as well. I was thinking of putting small holes in the bottles so new filter water can pass through and so i dont have to change the water in the bottles.

You'd need to create some flow for that method to work. So I would have an internal power filter in one end of the box then run a hose from the outlet part over to the other side of the box - then water will have to be pushed through the coke bottles. It's still flawed though, the coke bottles are such a shape that water would just flow around them rather than through them - taking the path of least resistance. You can test this by putting some multicure in the water (without the fish, unless they're sick of course) and watch how long it takes for the green stuff to actually get inside the coke bottles.

It would be hard to get enough holes in the coke bottle without breaking it. I've done it before with a perspex divider with many many small holes drilled in it - even after 30 minutes, both sides of the divider had unequal green staining and that was with a 2400L per hour internal power filter - I only had it on one side though, and no hose over the top of the divider. So it might work.

It would be hard to get enough holes in the coke bottle without breaking it. I've done it before with a perspex divider with many many small holes drilled in it - even after 30 minutes, both sides of the divider had unequal green staining and that was with a 2400L per hour internal power filter - I only had it on one side though, and no hose over the top of the divider. So it might work.

I have a barracks with perspex dividers and water is diffused through that quite well, this was even with the filter off.

Its easy to put holes in a coke bottle, heat up a fork then push it through the bottle.

Thanks guys for your help, i will be doing some testing. If all else fails atleast i can tip half the water out of the coke bottle then push it under water and the pressure will force more water in.

If you can get your hands on a soldering iron thats a realy quick way to make holes in the bottle

or even a hot glue gun (without any glue in it) the end could get hot enough to melt the plastic (can't verify this method thoughas i haven't actually tried it)

Nic

I used a soldering iron and pushed holes in each of the flanged out section near the base.

The bottles were sat in a large plastic tub.

To water change I drained the tub, then filled back up. I used the tub lid to stop the bottles popping up as the water filled the tub faster than it flowed into the bottles.

This worked because I have a heated room, and the water was pre-treated and pumped from a storage tub.

It was quite quick and could be done every other day.

J

I did what Shannon suggested and used a dye (from multicure) to see the water flow, at first the water/dye did move around the coke bottles and never went in. However, After 24 hours the water in the bottles is the same colour as the water on the outside of the bottles. Seems it takes about 24 hours for most of the water to cycle through the bottles.

I am guessing that the water around the bottles becomes more heated causing water expansion and pressure differences and water is forced into the bottle via this pressure.

Ok done some testing... added multicure to coke bottle in the corner furtherest from the powerhead filter. Poured multicure in slowly, straight away i could see it diffusing out!

After 15mins half of it had come out. After 30 mins all multicure diffused suggesting that it is a constant diffusion of water and the whole bottle of water would be cycled every 30mins. Not bad!

Now just learn not to feed to much and let waste food go to the bottom of bottle and making it slimey!

That seems like an awesome idea! It's already got my brain spinning with ideas to see if I can rig something up like that here! Well I suppose I can use the 4ft grow out tank to put the bottles in once we finish jarring all the fry (only 10 to go) and stick 2 internal power head filters in there. At the moment to do a water change it's almost 3 hours of our time as I clean the bottles out in hot water before refilling them. We have a good system going but Misfit just tore his right hand open today (21 stitches and has a half cast) so looks like I'll be cleaning coke bottles out on my own for 4-6 weeks. He can be on pouring and carrying duty, he can do that with one hand. I'm actually starting to wish we had a smaller spawn now....cleaning out over 150 coke bottles, plastic cups and assorted glass jars is tedious!

Good luck Brett...let us know how the further testing goes

Archived