To those with LTFs

Callatya

For example, would you expect them to blow a full sized bubble nest and have a fairly substantial beard when flaring?

I'm leaning towards "what a lovely spadetail male" but given the crossover of characteristics, I'm not really sure how many male ones I should be expecting and to what extent they should show. I was expecting the aggression (increased male characteristics should mean increased testosterone) but I wasn't expecting the macho bubblenest to go with it.

I'll get some pics soon.

My long tail females act the same as the rest of my girls.... most of my girls build nests of some kind, some really good and others just tiny bubbles. there's ALWAYS bubbles in my girl tank!

I've not noticed any unusual agression as compared with the rest of my girls.... actually in comparison to all my other girls they are probably less agressive, don't think their beards are that much bigger than normal...

Hope that helps you :)

I wasn't going to read this topic because I thought LTF must be some kind of catfish with a letter designation instead of numbers. :dontknow: Not that it's any consequence because I've never had an LTF and have zilch to contribute. :lol: Oh what the heck, since I'm here I'll offer an opinion anyway. How about putting the LTF with a male and observing how they react to each other. IME bettas know boys from girls better than we do. Mind you I put two males together recently in the hope that I could get one of them in a better spawning mood. I'd read somewhere that a 5 minute spar can encourage a male to spawn. Well, they were in there for 10 minutes, one of them flared but the male I was trying to spawn simply ignored the other male and swam around exploring the tank. They never got closer than 1 cm to each other.

I er, I put the two jars together and they both absolutely went off. I mean, I've had aggressive girls before, but this had that certain type of vigour that you get with boys.

I'll condition a bit and see how it goes. In a way, I sincerely hope it is a male because if it is female I wouldn't wish the little firecracker on any man!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a long tailed red girl last year, she looked like a spade tail but was definately female & full of eggs. I conditioned her for breeding & put her in her funnel in the spawning tank. The next thing I know she had jumped out & shredded the boys fins...she did this with every boy I tried her with no matter how I conditioned the pair so I stopped trying to breed her. She did the same thing with all breeds of fish I tried her with. It was a shame too as she was a lovely girl, but she just hated all other fish. I would take a photo of her but unfortunately I lost her to dropsy a few months ago :lol:.

Archived