Brilliant LFS find

Callatya

So ahh, whaddayathink? (ignore the poo) This is Noodle.

GuppySwallow01.JPG

I got him to go with my very full-finned female. This is Paris. (I also bought a nice even full-finned male in case Noodle is er, a flop :D, but he gets to go 2nd and it a bit tougher to photograph.)

normal_GuppySwallow02.JPG

Does anyone know the percentages for this cross? And can I get confirmation that Paris is, in fact, female. A bunch of guppy forumites have told me they believe her to be an immature boy, but surely by now if that anal fin was going to change, it would have, wouldn't it?

He looks like he's born the brunt of a fight with a Betta! I've got a betta still growing out with my guppy's (he's almost a year old, talk about late bloomer!) and I often see him swimming around with 6 wk old guppy fry hanging with their heads out of his mouth and he even has a go at the adults. It's a very interesting tail variation if it was deliberately bred in.

Thats pretty cool!! I dont think you will be able to breed with him though due to the extremely long gonopodum (spell?)

And i would say that is a female. I see tonnes of massive finned females come through at work. At the fish hatchery, they have some females with tails about 2wice the size of regular males!!

I dont think you will be able to breed with him though due to the extremely long gonopodum (spell?).
I think Phil's right. Not about the spelling of gonopodium :D but that it's too long to breed. :) Sorry Phil, can't help myself.

Unless it's a trick of the photo but that female looks to me to be showing a dark, gravid spot just in front of the anal fin. Females get this spot very early. Much earlier than males develop a gonopodium. It's a much more reliable method of sexing guppies. (I nearly typed "sexing bettas" then.) Well, if you see a gravid spot, it's definitely female, if you don't it could be either. BUT females develop that gravid spot very young. So if a guppy of that size doesn't have a gravid spot then it is most likely to be a male that hasn't developed a gonopodium yet.

I see tonnes of massive finned females come through at work. At the fish hatchery, they have some females with tails about 2wice the size of regular males!!

Phil, Phil, there you go again making me salivate... :) Where can I get 'em please??!

Callatya, that's a beautiful female - great find! I'd place a big bet that she's no immature male, but just a great female. I've had one like that before. Good luck with them both. Can I ask where you got them?...and if you think they have any regular large-tailed males and females left?

Finley

I got both at Auburn Aquarium on Parramatta Rd. They were $7 each and there were some nice darker blue males with good even caudals left. Noodle was the last of the swallows, but if we bother the owner, he might get more in. He said they didn't sell too well, I think it I because they look like they've come off second best in a fight. :) The females were slim pickings, 3 good HBs but that was about it. This girl was the odd one out a few weeks ago.

i'm really not sure on the breeding, but I think that Paris is either a virgin or fresh out of sperm packets because up until recently the gravid spot was very hard to spot (I think that is why I got conflicting views on her sex)

Not sure on the breeding, that's why I got the other male too :D this is just a bit of a trial run. I thought the same about the long gonopodium but apparently people seem to be suggesting that they can be bred, just not with high yields or regularity (read: a bit of a fluke?) so I'll give him a shot and see how it goes. I was wondering how they bred these and was umming and arring about if they needed to do a quick snip. Ethically though, I'm thinking that if he can't do it naturally, I'm not about to make more that can't do it naturally either. I'd love to know any experiences with them though. He seems to be able to maneuverer it ok, and it does bend near where the extension starts so he can move it around as if it was normal size.

The usual way to breed longfinned guppies is to us a longfinned female and a longfinned geno male, ie one not showing or only partly showing the longfin trait in the phenotype. A longfin spawn will usually produce some individuals who have normal gonopodiums. They're hard to spot in an LFS, if not impossible. If similar coloured normal males were available you could take a punt on them being siblings and possibly carrying the trait. And just do some controlled spawnings to see what results you get.

Archived