Going on Holidays - What to do with fish?

brettc777

I’m going on a week maybe 2 week holiday at the start of next year. Wanted to know peoples strategies in how to have their fish looked after.

I have no one I can trust any closer than 1 hour away so I can’t really get people to look after them.

Anyone have any experience in keeping their fish healthy while away. I’m a little worried that the water will go bad if I go away more than one week. I’m guessing if my fish only get feed once during the whole week then the water can’t get that dirty?

Any hints or tips?

If I was only going away for a week, I'd feed them on the day I left and ask someone to come in and feed them again in 3 days. They should be ok. Are there jars to look after or only filtered tanks? If it's only filtered tanks you should be ok without doing water changes for 2 weeks if you only have them fed lightly while you're away.

I will just leave mine unfed if I go for a week. If I go for longer I try to get a fishy housesitter, and if that can't happen I put small amounts of fishfood in one of those 7 day pillboxes and HIDE THE REST OF THE FOOD and get a non fish person to come over and dump it in every few days.

Well i do have a spawn growing up now (which is about 2 and a bit weeks old) but should be ready to sell mid November and im going away in Febuary. Want to do a another spawn before then... hope i have time! :)

My fish are in filtered tanks... so hopefully it will be ok :)

Hmmm there is one person i could probably trust. The good thing about where my tanks are is that they are in the garage which has been converted into a room. The door accessing the garage is on the outside of the house so i dont need to let people inside my house.

I still want to keep spawning, i dont want to stop! but i dont want my helper to have to make up BBS and do all the fuss with that... might just get some powder fry food... maybe the finest Grade of TA. Do you think the finest grade of TA would be ok for fry a few days old? when do you think a larger grade would be needed. I was thinking of getting a Grade 3 for weaning my fry off BBS at about one month of age.

I've found that with TA I start feeding TA and VE from when they are free swimming... they usually take to TA instantly and by the time a week comes around they'll all eat TA if you offer it to them. my 2 week old guys only eat TA now I've stopped VE.. all they get is TA and liquid vitamins and they're chunky little things now. SO as long as you spawn at least 2 weeks before you go it should be ok :)

Well maybe you should just come up and live in my house while im gone!

Gives me an idea - you could do a fishy version of House Swapping. Michael gets a week in Tweed Heads free of rent in exchange for feeding the fish, and Brett gets a week in Melbourne likewise :) I know Brett actually has plans to go elsewhere, but work with me here :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived