tree branches in betta tanks?

divy

hi all i was just wondering if there is a type of tree braches that can go in a betta tank?

cause i dont have alot of space in my tanks/barracks and i thought if i got some small nice looking braches it will give my bettas something to hide under and swim around

cheers

Well I would have to advise you to use wood thats been dried out... not sure if you implied that at all in your message. So yeah woods not dried out can leach saps and other stuff into the water.

Im not sure about tree branches/sticks... what diameter were you looking at? Maybe some other people have use something similar and give you advice?

Depending on the diameter you might find that some are already dried out. You would have to look out for the speicies of the trees that have chemicals in them that can harm fish!

yeah, make sure that the branch is dried out of ANY sap or resin. after that it has to be water logged to :scold:

after you've found a branch like that, I'd suggest the best bet would be gum, as they're usually on the edge of rivers. and eucalypt trees IMO wouldn't have poisons that would kill fish (in a dried out branch obviously tho ) :scared:

well my idea was to go down the creek and take a few branches and then dry them out myself but from some of you say they may contain oils and toxins so im not going to risk it :scared:

i would of got some drift wood but there all to big ive got two tanks divided into 3 each and each betta has 2.7 litres each 12cm x 12cm x 20 high

Ive ordered some driftwood from aquarium products $5.25 for a 23cm piece ...If you got a hacksaw to it you might get 2 or 3 small pieces out of it , then bury the cut edge in your substrate ....just a suggestion as I defineately wouldnt use any other type of wood its too risky..

How small do you need?

I've used beach driftwood before. I figure that, coming from saltwater, there is less of a chance of pathogens that would be a problem in freshwater. It usually comes in small chunks, but it tends to rot quicker than the hardwood stuff you can buy.

Do you have a pond or landscaping place nearby? They might have some locally collected stuff that is about the right size. It won't have been irradiated, so boiling/baking will be very important, but it might be more what you are after.

(I have used sunken wood from a river before too, but I really wouldn't recommend it. I practically tortured that wood before I put it anywhere near my tanks)

Archived