brine shrimp

divy

ok well i tried to hatch some brine shrimp but no luck

i got 1 litre of water and added a tablespoon of aquarium salt and had a light over it for about 13-14 hours

i didnt have a pump so i just stir it every half hour

so is there anything i did wrong? did i forget to add or do anything? with my next try should the water be a certain temp?

what brand are the eggs and how old are they? are they in a clear or opaque container? they should be in a can or opaque container and kept in the fridge or freezer as the most common cause of failure to hatch is that the eggs perish.

BUT - IME it takes 24 hours for them to hatch. maybe give it a bit longer.

Also you should be hatching in NaCl (salt) not aquarium salt, and you need the water to be alkaline so add a pinch of bicarb next time.

also, IME unless you're going to aerate the cup (I don't) leave the eggs to float, don't stir. they seem to have better access to O2 that way, if left on the surface.

the brand is AAA GSL and i just got them and the seller keeps his in the fridge

its now been 24 hours and no luck, will aquarium salt still work? or should i get NaCl salt and what is NaCl salt ive never heard of it before

NaCl refers to the chemical elements which make up common salt, sodium chloride. Get plain sea salt or rock salt with no additives ie. no iodine, anti-caking agent etc. A 2kg bag of rock salt from Coles should set you back about $4. Also get a box of sodium bicarbonate. To 1 ltr of water I normally add 6 teaspoons of salt and a quarter teaspoon of bicarb. I also add a quarter teaspoon of Epsom salts (available at pharmacies) but I'm not sure that it makes that much difference. You should be able to get a small air pump for under $10 but if you're not going to aerate then I suggest that you search for the post where Lilli described her method of hatching brineshrimp. But it's pretty much what she said above. Put the water in a cup. Sprinkle the eggs on the surface and come back 24 hours later.

A can of brineshrimp eggs once opened needs to be used fairly quickly. So your seller needs to have fairly high turnover.

I love ebay and hate pet shops. Never...I repeat NEAVER!!!! by bs eggs from a pet shop. I bought my first lot from the LPS. the tiny container costs....wait for it....$25.95!

I heard everyone here buys from ebay so I had a look. I will always buy mine from E alpha deals. 10grams, which I think is more than I got the last time costs $4.00 and p&h was $1.00. (Buy the way, I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to advertise here :lol: )

I have had lots of success with hatching both types of brine shrimp eggs.

Start with

1L of water

1 1/2 tablespoons of sea salt or 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt ( I had a pack with instructions to make a solution for bbs on the pack)

1/2 teaspoon brine shrimp eggs

Add salt water to container/s

add eggs

have the container airated with pump and airline tubing

I don't use bicarb because I have never needed it and my tap water is already alkaline.

Wait 24 hours and bob's your uncle!!!

Hint: have rotating hatcheries going or else you will have bbs one day and none the next

Or.... seamonkeys kit and put just a pinch of eggs in that.

It really depends on the aquarium shop. Generally aquarium shops that sell marines will have a higher turnover with their brineshrimp eggs. So you're more likely to get a better hatch rate. The bs eggs that I've bought from the LFS have yielded a much better hatch than the ones I got off eBay. The eBay ones were cheaper, yes, but if I'm only getting half the number of bbs then it ends up being the same price. I reckon the best way to get really fresh brineshrimp eggs is to divide a large can (usually 424 grams) between a few people. That's basically what the eBay sellers are doing but if your batch of eggs is from the bottom of the can and it's been open for a while, then you're not going to get as good a hatch.

Bettagirl said that her salt had instructions for making brine suitable for hatching brineshrimp. There's aquarium salt that's used for marine tanks and there's aquarium salt that's used as a water conditioner. What kind of aquarium salt have you got? Does it have a list of ingredients?

It's confusing isn't it :giggle:. My aquarium salt had instructions for using for bs eggs. Sea salt is so much cheaper. You can get that at the supermarket for a few dollars. If you have spare aquarium salt you could always experiment and see what works best for you.

Remember practice makes perfect

I love ebay and hate pet shops. Never...I repeat NEAVER!!!! by bs eggs from a pet shop. I bought my first lot from the LPS. the tiny container costs....wait for it....$25.95!

I heard everyone here buys from ebay so I had a look. I will always buy mine from E alpha deals. 10grams, which I think is more than I got the last time costs $4.00 and p&h was $1.00. (Buy the way, I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to advertise here :giggle: )

I have had lots of success with hatching both types of brine shrimp eggs.

Start with

1L of water

1 1/2 tablespoons of sea salt or 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt ( I had a pack with instructions to make a solution for bbs on the pack)

1/2 teaspoon brine shrimp eggs

Add salt water to container/s

add eggs

have the container airated with pump and airline tubing

I don't use bicarb because I have never needed it and my tap water is already alkaline.

Wait 24 hours and bob's your uncle!!!

Hint: have rotating hatcheries going or else you will have bbs one day and none the next

Or.... seamonkeys kit and put just a pinch of eggs in that.

Buy yourself a spacific gravity tester from home brew shop. Make up 10 litres in a bucket .when the water level is at the top green mark there is enough salt in it. 1.020 to 1.025. if this is right you shouldnt have problems. I use ocean nature sea salt.and i have never had a problem hatching egg. you need good airation.

And use a chlorine neutraliser.

sg.jpg

I had aquarium salt that could be used for freshwater fish. The brand is Aqua Master aquarium salt. It says to use 2 rounded tablespoons for 1L of water. It is obtained from evaporated sea water, but this brand IS for freshwater fish. Funny huh?

thanks every one for the helpful info last night i had another try with the aquarium salt and sea salt i had them both at the same temp around 26-27c and added bicab which i didnt do last time and both hatched

the one with the sea salt hatched a little bit quicker

im going to grow them so i can feed them to my grown bettas i have food but im not sure when to feed them and how much?

thanks again every one for the help its also good that i know how to hatch them now so when i breed i can be ready

Archived