Heating Cord

kitstyles

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i would like to know more about it too!

seems like a great idea for barracks!

they mentioned in the thread you could put it on foam if you had a metal suface, i dont think that would be ideal as wouldnt the heating cord melt through the foam??

info from the manufactures website can be found HERE

its an australian site and they have it listed for $26 i would only assume thats in australian currency.

yeah i would like to know more about it too!

seems like a great idea for barracks!

they mentioned in the thread you could put it on foam if you had a metal suface, i dont think that would be ideal as wouldnt the heating cord melt through the foam??

info from the manufactures website can be found HERE

its an australian site and they have it listed for $26 i would only assume thats in australian currency.

I think as long as you put on metal or wood surface.. and I don't think that thing will be very hot..expcet that metal line on it >,<. I will need more heated tanks when my baby fish 1months old... I will buy 1 next week and give it a try

Hi all,

I made these stands for the Betta Shows held up in Queensland by Betta Australis, They were made out of MDF fibre board and painted to seal them a bit from moister.

We found that even in the tin shed at the Royal Brisbane Show with an outside temp of around 15o the tanks were kept at 26-28o.

This was achieved with a double length of 25w or a single length of 50w. I think that if you use the higher watt ones then adding a thermostat would be a good idea as the tanks that were insulated more by the stand crept up to 30o.

I have used the 50 watt cords in foam on the tin shelving and have not had any problem with the foam deforming of melting in anyway. Still it always pays to keep an eye on it as the foam density you use may be different to the one I used.

All the tanks used on these were made of glass.

Cheers

BM

No the temp can't be adjusted. The watts govern how hot they can get. I found having them heat the base of the tank the best, as the warm water rises and will disperse through the water collum more efficiently without agitation.

kitz can you please keep us informed on how it goes cause i need something to keep my small tanks warm and this seems to be the best way

also how big are your tanks that you plan to use the cord on?

also were do you put the cord? it says waterprof so do you put it in the water or could you put it on the outside of the glass??

kitz can you please keep us informed on how it goes cause i need something to keep my small tanks warm and this seems to be the best way

also how big are your tanks that you plan to use the cord on?

also were do you put the cord? it says waterprof so do you put it in the water or could you put it on the outside of the glass??

not inside the tank... although they say is waterproof but I won't try to put them in the water. I am planning to get few 8 inch x 5 inch x 9inch height tank to test... and I will just put the cord on top of some foam. If its not hot enough I will just do 2 cord on the bottom till I get the right tempreture.. and yeah outside under the tank. The original post from other forum explain it more clear. I can pm u with the link if you want :welcome:

I won the item from ebay last weekend so it will come in a week or 2... I will keep you guys inform on how it goes.. ;)

edit: thx Lili for upload the pic for me >,<

not inside the tank... although they say is waterproof but I won't try to put them in the water. I am planning to get few 8 inch x 5 inch x 9inch height tank to test... and I will just put the cord on top of some foam. If its not hot enough I will just do 2 cord on the bottom till I get the right tempreture.. and yeah outside under the tank. The original post from other forum explain it more clear. I can pm u with the link if you want :(

I won the item from ebay last weekend so it will come in a week or 2... I will keep you guys inform on how it goes.. :(

edit: thx Lili for upload the pic for me >,<

oh ok i understand now

how long is the cord you got ?

and yeah if you could pm me that link it would be great thanks

thanks kitz for that link ;)

ok im going to use a heat cord too, but the smallest lenght cord is 4meters and i will only need 2.5meters so with the extra 1.5meters of cord can i just leave it on my floor an go to the power point or will it burn my carpet??

if its 4meters does the full 4meters heat like the cable stright to the power plug??

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but ive never seen these heat cords work before an i dont want to burn my house down lol

thanks kitz for that link ;)

ok im going to use a heat cord too, but the smallest lenght cord is 4meters and i will only need 2.5meters so with the extra 1.5meters of cord can i just leave it on my floor an go to the power point or will it burn my carpet??

if its 4meters does the full 4meters heat like the cable stright to the power plug??

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but ive never seen these heat cords work before an i dont want to burn my house down lol

I never seem it in real too ... I think they will not burn anything ><... if it can burn your carpet it would be too hot to heat up the tanks.. but of course don't put on the carpet. The extra 1.5 meters you can just roll them up and put it on top of the foam? or you could use that 1.5 extra to give you tanks alittle bit higher tempreture.. I dunno, I have to wait till I get my cord and I still have to buy some small tanks to test it out.. well tell me how it goes on yours beacuse I also want to know if it works.. :P

Thanks for the tip on Southern Biological Bettarazzi, I actually stumbled on to them a few weeks back and havent gotten off my but to do anything about it yet. Have you dealt with them before? Are they ok with small orders? I guess I should ring them and find out for myself :eadshake:...

The heating cord runs the length of the shelf twice so each 2l jar sits on 2 parallel sections of cord. The temperature stays at around 26-28C. If you were using them at home you'd probably want to turn them off during the warm months.

I bought some rotifers from them. 50 rotifers to be exact. I was slightly peeved when I realised that they actually got their microscope out and counted the things. However, rotifers do multiply quickly and these did. That reminds me that I must check on them. I think Southern Biological are used to getting orders from hobbyists and school teachers. We're their main customer base I think. I'm thinking of getting and algae starter culture. Yeah I know I've got tons of it growing in my tanks but I don't think I have the right kind to feed to newly hatched fry.

So back to the heating cord.... Is your heating cord the same type that Kitz is talking about? What brand is yours? Where did you get it? What's its wattage?

Archived