New Fish

Bettarazzi

These are the fish that came from Jodi yesterday. They were in perfect condition when I put them in the tank. But one night with me and fins are split and frayed.

This is the Copper HM Male. Will post better pic when I can get him into a better tank.

Copper Female. Not sure if they're a sibling pair. Must remember to ask Jodi. The two coppers are the ones I was considering letting boughetto have. I wasn't really intending to work with this colour. But now that they're both frayed I guess they're staying here.

Red Female who will be spawned with the Red Male I already have

Gold Female who will be spawned the White Male I already have

I find when the fins heal up the join stays transparent. It depends on the injury. If it's just slightly torn it's less noticeable when it heals. But the red female has a huge bite out of her anal fin. That's going to be noticeable for a long time. She's just not going to make it to the show bench I'm afraid.

The Copper female is the least injured. She's either the main aggressor or the most submissive. I suspect she's the former.

I'm still undecided, sorry. But would you consider the pair... and maybe breed them... I'll be upfront and say I'm hoping someone will breed them so I can maybe get some offspring later on.

nvm la.. :P if u breed u sell me the offspring lo...besides..i live very near chadstone...and i got to the fitness first at tafe..so its not difficult to meet each other ... :blink:

bettarazzi... Do u put IAL into ur tank for spwaning? The bubbles that my red hm blow is still poping -.-... I dunno what to do.. unsure.gif I really wanna spwan my red HM pair T.T

sorry to have to do this, but can you please refer to this thread and take what I have said on board?

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4039

your question is likely to create some interesting discussion, but nobody wanting to know about IAL would think to look in this thread for it. Maybe post it in a new thread, or in an existing IAL thread?

Cheers :embarrass:

the copper pair are unrelated

word of caution;

it is not a good practice to put new fish into a tank together.

All fish carry disease to some extent. Just like people, there are different levels of immunity. Shipping fish is very stressful. it suppresses the immune system. if any of the fish are carrying even a tiny load of bacteria these will proliferate.

all fish should be treated with melafix/pimafix or heavy ketapang dose on arrival. keep this in the water for several days. this should keep any disease at bay until the fish gets back to strength

if you suspect something worse treat with antibiotics staight away.

all fish from me have been individually jarred. they will have no immunity to any disease (the immune memory of a fish is about 2 weeks)

by mixing the females you have exposed them to futher stress and damage - an easy vantage point for pathogens to enter.

these are not your regular garden variety tough as nails veiltails. these are line bred fish that are far more delicate. the paler colours such as white, orange, gold, dragon etc are even more delicate.

start them on very clean food like washed mysis shrimp or daphnia (the fibre helps gut function return)

buy only clean, bright red blood worm and rinse well before feeding

pellets are generally safe, but may not be well accepted. try them anyway

black worm is a risk. rinse the worms well every day and store in the fridge. rinse twice before feeding. a VERY small amount (say a diluted drop) of listerine helps keep the bacteria in the worm culture at bay. do not overdose or you will kill the worms.

HTH J

Thanks for that Jodi. Can I clarify something? I understand from what you're saying that best practice would be for me to individually jar new females. Once they have settled down and I'm sure there are no diseases, can I put them in the female community tank? Or are you saying that females should be individually jarred the whole time?

thanks someone, great information and very useful!!!

good question Mike!! im sure you would be able to put them in a community tank after a little while, once you know their health is 100%... although i have some females living alone, but thats cause their too aggressive for my community tank.

Archived