New loves... thomasi

Mishy

Yes I've been slowly moving away from bettas (just don't have time for them anymore) and slowly moving into community tanks.

Last weekend, I picked up a pair of anomolachromis thomasi from the VCS auction and boy, have they turned out nice.

I thought I made a mistake cause I had heard 'American Butterfly' but turns out they're 'African butterflies' so I was a little concerned with how'd they go in my American tank. Turns out too well.... 2 days and they had laid eggs and taking pot shots at my corys who unknowingly venture into their area. Sure shows that the fish at the auctions are fertile.

Beautiful fish though (haven't seen them in stores before) so if I do happen to successfully breed them, future generations may be seen here :((

Thomasi info here

PS I'll try take pics of them, esp mum when she's fanning the eggs.

Yep the auctions down here are definately into their kribs.

So many varietys went up for sale.. and for some reason, not much interest (good news for Nam and me as we got pairs for bargains!)

Will try take pics but have to rearrange my tank now to make homes for everyone

Rearranged my tank last night... so funny to see the fish all confused but at least they are too busy trying to find their way than fighting with each other...

The thomasi's seem to prefer this tank much more... more hidey spots and plants and such.. leaving my corys alone.. seems mum is more a lioness than i thought

They are really cute Mish!

How do the breeding pair deal with the cories poking around? I am tossing up putting some cories in my kribs' crib (sorry) but wasn't sure if it would stress breeding pairs out to much.

Yeah... fry became snacks... trying to decide who is the fry burgular.. (money is it being the loaches :rant: .. fry pan is where they'd end up next)

Panda is about 18 months but he's the slowest growing out of the lot. Everyone else who was the same size as him has exploded in growth rates.

Lady, they were on a date :lol: scouting out for a make out spot ;)

Lilli, Nam and I've found with kribs, that they dont go well with corys. Period. The poor corys were copping the raw end of the deal so we've decided to never put them together (breeding kribs or not).

Pappa actually didn't like the neons surprisingly. Shepard them into a corner and kept them there. :lol:

They laid eggs again last night, and I think the parents learnt who the bandits were, as dad had all the cories holed up in one corner of the tank. This morning when I turned the lights on, so cute to see mumma fish sleeping on top of the eggs.

Will try and save them this time (but I'm not sure how well that'll go given that it's a community tank)

Archived