Bolivian Ram Spawn

Daniel

Hey Everyone, My rams spawned on friday :( , i thought they must have been infertile because they took forever to hatch, when i got home this afternoon the parents were out of hiding with a swarm of fry :( soooooo...... ummmm i dont know what to do, feed them? leave them alone? the parents are warding off all the other tank mates, so they appear pretty safe for now.... Any Ideas??? Oh and is it too early to do a water change? because its that time of the week....

Thanks For the Replies :)

Tank Specs:

120 litre tank, 10x filtration

10-25% weekly water chnages

Sand Substrate

Low Level Lighting, (have kept it on 24/7 to help the parents)

Pretty Thick Planting

Some Corys and Neons

Feeding: Flake, Tabs and Blackworms

Ph: From tap 7.6 usually drops though.

It was an accidental spawn. They have spawned before but have never got to the free swimming stage. They spawned on a terracotta pot, and made depressions in the sand around the roots of one of the sword plants to keep the wrigglers in.

have to include a pic even though its a bad one:

Posted Image

Do you Guys think i should buy a 10 gallon to put the fry in? with a little internal filter? or should i leave them in with the parents untill they grow a bit bigger?

• 8 months later...

thought id update this if everyone every has a suprise spawning, currently at the moment i have 5 offspring remaining from the original clutch, they have still yet to obtain adult size maybe 1/5th of the parents size currently, but have adult colouration. It is possible that i have stunted them, the bioload from parents and fry as well as other livestock would have pushed the nitrates up, but references say it can nearly take 12 months to achieve adult size so im unsure as yet.

heres a good pic of dad Bolivian3.jpg

and either the mother or father with some babiesBolivian4.jpg

ill take some recent pics when i get the time and when they choose to behave :angry:

Archived