Phil...these Looks Familiar?

Mango4Jade

Oh Come on! you cant just go and buy the ones i was planning on going back for!!! They are beautiful, whats the top one called? komonru? i can never remember! And little white nose, cant believe you caught him! Any new shots of your pond, must be looking great by now! :sad::)

I believe so, Stefan. See how she is not streamlined/torpedo shaped like the black ones? She is also doitsu, meaning scale-less body save for the odd large "mirror" scales. That's my favourite type. I had a huge ogon (metallic white) doitsu koi called Jaws for years. My firm favourite!

They breed selectively like bettas. We only got 1 breeding season each year. Only a few months. So its essential that they breed selectively. Its not worth to waste a year to breed for the fun of it. There are 2 type of breeders, one who breeds the varieties that they like, and some (like myself) want to produce the new varieties. Since we cannot import Koi, the new varieties need to be created, so we ask the Japanese to help us with some clues etc. Its very hard to find a good pair, so I just join with some friends and share the many ten thousands of fry each female lays. Mango

Archived