Koi

Figure_8

they are approximately as messy as oscars and they grow even bigger, so your history at managing oscars is a good start! You'll need a pond, obviously, and a BIG filter. I originally used a 40,000 L swimming pool and 4 large drums filled with blue metal gravel which a pump forced the water through as a filter. i also went through a phase where we had an open filter box planted with bullrushes as a vegetable filter. I always liked the idea of 2 ponds, one flowing into the other, one containing the fish and the other containing lots of surface irregularity, gravel and plants to act as a filter. In terms of stocking levels, in a 10,000L pond I had about 30 fish and that was way too many. we were between houses and it was a "temporary" pond that sort of ended up permanent until we had a blackout on a low pressure day and killed them - after I had had some of them for more than 10 years!!. So stocking level is important, and always opt to under-stock. I would say if you want a decent number of koi (more than 10) you should opt for at least 10,000 litres (about the size of a kids' swimming pool) and a BIG filter. The filter should be no smaller than 1/3 the size of the pond but ideally the same size as the pond (seriously! you'll be thankful in the long run). There are many types of materials you can build the pond from but if you decide on a liner, avoid using pool liner/plastic as it perishes and leaks and your koi can end up crispy or burned by the sun :D . Butyl rubber is a better option, maybe there is an even better option available these days. It was always my dream to have a concrete or fibreglass pond. Use a liner/pond paint that is dark in colour (not blue) or the fishs' colour will wash out. Dark colours make their colours more intense. Potted plants are guaranteed to be uprooted and/or eaten by koi, as are floating plants like duckweed. If you want to grow anything in a pot, cover the pot with a strong mesh that the shoots can grow up through but the Koi can't root around in, and weigh the pot down with something heavy or they will just tip it over. You'll probably also want a birdnet - both to keep the fish in and to keep the birds out. Imagine a pelican popping in one afternoon and cleaning out the whole pond of your darlings! Um, that's all I can think of for now. OH - cycling. You'll need to cycle the pond, and make sure that you can drain or siphon it in case you ever need to empty it for some reason (eg to get rid of nitrates at the end of the cycle). also in spring, the water is almost guaranteed to go pea soup green. This bothers the fish not at all and IME usually clears up once the warmer weather hits and the filter bacteria revives. I read that in Japan they actually add manure by the trailerload to their spawning ponds to encourage green water, and the associated infusoria, as they fry feed on it!

Thanks Lis! I'd love to have a concrete pond like my father had, but anything that permenant will have to wait until I'm in the next house. Unfortunately I'm going to need something that I can break down and transport. I've seen some pre-made black plastic-looking ponds at bunnings etc... are these any good? What do others use as a temporary/semi-permenant (ie removable) set up?

the pre-made ones are probably only big enough for goldfish. Visualise a single 2' koi in it, and you'll see what I mean! Also they are rather shallow, maning big temp fluctuation. In the northern hemisphere they recommend a minimum koi pond depth of 8', as the top of the pond freezes. With our hot summers, I think we need a depth of at least 3'. My large pond was 4' deep.

Great info lisa! I think i will have to make my pond deeper for my fish, but thats a whole lot of digging LOL! Mouse Lisa, what about one of the mini swimming pools you can get at places like Big W or something, you know with the metal walls and blue liner, i think they are about 50cm deep and 3m wide. Pretty cheap i think aswell. Cound cover the blue with a black liner perhaps?

that's a good idea, it is actually recommended in a few places that you use the pool liner as an "under-liner" and actually use a butyl rubber liner as the "for real" liner. You can make a pretty nice pond if you put those sandstoney blcoks around it, and capping stones. You would need a pool fence, though, with all the mouselings running about!

the pre-made ones are probably only big enough for goldfish.  Visualise a single 2' koi in it, and you'll see what I mean!  Also they are rather shallow, maning big temp fluctuation.  In the northern hemisphere they recommend a minimum koi pond depth of 8', as the top of the pond freezes.  With our hot summers, I think we need a depth of at least 3'.  My large pond was 4' deep.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would need a pool fence, though, with all the mouselings running about!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*sigh*

I forgot they get that big to be honest :lol: Maybe I might have to put this idea on hold until I move and can have a nice big concrete jobbie with a proper pool fence

Mouse!!!

I would of never guessed... :lol:!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want a pond dammit!!! Something purty and wet with finny things in it in my back yard. I'm so tired of it looking like crap. Especially with all the bbq's we are having lately. I want to WANT to spend time out there and fishies would do that for me.

Maybe I should look into goldfish instead?

• 3 years later...

Koi are great, but goldfish are too!

Think of them as mini koi. Provided they have enough space, the single-tailed varieties will reach around 30cm or so. Thats big enough, isn't it?

Think of all the pretty varieties, just like koi.

Also, they probably won't be big enough to suck your finger off just like some of the larger koi.

Thats a plus! :)

Archived