Books On Bettas

RedDragon

We have a couple of books but I have to say we hardly ever use them. The net has so much more relevant and up to date information on Bettas. As Peter has said Joep's site has some really good information on basic betta genetics. Though I have to say that even the basic stuff can confuse me. :P Najina

Hi All,

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the Betta Territory site and I think I understand the basics, especially when crossing similar colours. But I'm confused about what would happen when you cross dissimlar colours.

Example:

Green HM x Opaque White.

Copper BF HM x Black Lace HM

Can someone example in simple english how dominant, recessive and co-dominant

genes work.

Cheers

Fiona

Victoria Parnell recently released a Betta Book, and it is available as an E-book too. Check out her homepage :) It even has a review by Dr. Gene Lucas :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Fiona, Unforunately a lot of colours don't come from a single locus. Your green HM for example (if I remember right) is probably turqoise (a homozygous form of blue with royal being heterozygous and steel being the other homozygous) and heterozygous metallic (metallic iridesence is codominant with non-metallic). Opaque factor is also codominant but if your opaque is a white fish it's probably a cambo, (recessive) steel blue. So the cross should give you pastel blues (royal blue with heterozygous opaque, all cambo geno) and 1/2 of them should also be herozygous metallic - but I have no idea what a 1/2 metallic, 1/2 opaque royal blue looks like :wacko: (full metallic opaque is platinum isn't it?). My brane hurts 4 now so I'll see if sum1 else wants to try your other outcross suggestion :). Peter

If you can get it, there is an old book printed by Tetra in the Aquariology series called "fish breeding and genetics" which isn't betta specific, and is quite old, but the explanations of how and why and the like are very very good. Worth a read if you can find it.

Archived