Need Ideas How To Stop Fish Jumping

Mishy

Ok guys, need ideas. Friend just got a 3ft tank made up for 3 fighters. Each compartment is divided by 2 panes of glass and a piece of grey perspect to card the males. Problem here is, the tank is constructed like Teenie's tank (for those who remember). The sump filter is at one end of the tank. Filtration works via pipes which run along the back and drips into the compartments, but the outflow is through the top when the water goes through a small gap. Unknowningly said friend didn't realise that bettas are escape artists and two boys managed to get into each other. Now we need ideas on how to let the water flow continue, yet stop the males from going into each other's compartments. I've sent him to Bunnings to get some plastic mesh to silicon onto the perspect. Will this be ok as a permanent solution?

"Need Ideas How To Stop Fish Jumping" Tie a pebble to their tail ;) . But seriously, just cover the compartments over with some of that mesh stuff you get at spotlight/bunnings. You could also "borrow :) " some of that plastic mesh that comes around gas cylinders which is very similar cause spotlight can be a little dear. Definatly need a cover of some sort unless it's possible to drill some smaller holes below the rim to lower the water level, but then you risk cracking the glass and it's a bit fiddly.

If I ever need a hole plugged I just cut to shape a bit of that stiffer filter media, you know, the black stuff that's like thick netting. I just stuff it into the holes and it even lets the water flow through. Just a thought Cheers O

Only problem I've found with using plastic mesh or canvass is that silicone doesn't bond with it very well, and it comes off after a short time. Bakerman has a very large multi-cell barracks tank, and he uses cheap plastic pocket combs, which are just the right size to wedge in place :shifty:

"Need Ideas How To Stop Fish Jumping"

Tie a pebble to their tail  :o .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see the Japanese movie where the boy tied a pebble to a fish and a frog and a snake and when he woke up the next morning his monk master had tied a huge rock around his waist and made him go and find the poor little beasties and untie them dragging a great weight? Mishy better be careful with that plan and not let any Japanese monks know where she lives. :o

hi Mishy I'm not familiar with the tank you describe, but I have a couple of suggestions that may be worth considering. Rainbowfish and killifish eggs often benefit from modest water flow over them during incubation. I place them in small containers with the output from an airlift filter directed into the container. Drain holes for the overflow are covered with Scotchbrite scouring pad material. Bonsai enthusiasts cover the holes in the bottom of their pots with 2mm square plastic mesh. It comes in about 30cm sheets for just a few $'s and is easily cut to size with scissors. Keith

:o How can you say that!? Bettas are great at growing "beards" :o Unless of course you are just using pun on the fact that bettas have beards, in which case I retract my comment :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o .... I'm not going to ask ;) .

Did you see the Japanese movie where the boy tied a pebble to a fish and a frog and a snake and when he woke up the next morning his monk master had tied a huge rock around his waist and made him go and find the poor little beasties and untie them dragging a great weight? Mishy better be careful with that plan and not let any Japanese monks know where she lives.

Fair dinkum!

Well I guess they've thought of everything haven't they. I only know of people designing a harness for a goldfish that had SBD

http://www.sullivanet.com/misc/fishie/addy...ess-11nov04.jpg

hi Mishy

I'm not familiar with the tank you describe, but I have a couple of suggestions that may be worth considering.

Rainbowfish and killifish eggs often benefit from modest water flow over them during incubation. I place them in small containers with the output from an airlift filter directed into the container. Drain holes for the overflow are covered with Scotchbrite scouring pad material.

Bonsai enthusiasts cover the holes in the bottom of their pots with 2mm square plastic mesh. It comes in about 30cm sheets for just a few $'s and is easily cut to size with scissors.

Keith

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to use the non-metal flywire for my bonsai pots. Very cheap and works well. Could be worth a shot in this case too.

Whoo hoo.. thanks guys for all your suggestions. *sigh* I don't know how this friend was convinced by the bloody aquarium it was escape proof... After the two boys decided to get into a contest to see who would look best in a minifin, one got removed. The one that was left had the whole 3fter to himself (after he removed the partitions) but that wasn't enough. Stupid boy decided he liked the filter with it's bio balls much better, and was rescued after getting stuck. He managed to get through the gap in the tank where the piping runs along the back of the tank to supply fresh water. I'm starting to believe that to fatten him up would be the best option.... failing that we can use pebbles.. I'll watch for the Japanese monks. Seriously though, i told him to cut some of the stiff sponge to block the hole. Looks like we're all geniuses cause we're all thinking the same thing and of course I think I'm a genius... so we're all genius (excuse me, I'm just starved of sleep)

Archived