Axolotls

I know axolotls have been covered before but I can't find the topic. I got a new pet axy around 2 weeks ago. Only reason I got him was because he was the smallest in a 2' tank of around 15 axys and as I was watching a big brown axy took a chomp out of this poor fellas gill so I took him home before they could finish him off. He looks heaps more relaxed now he's on his own. He's a friendly little golden axy, we've called him Godzilla he's quite active. Unfortunately he ate a bunch of pebbles before I could go down to bunnings and buy some sand, he was bloated for a couple days but he's doing quite well now. It's annoying that I still can't post pics. I haven't got him in an ideal tank, it's a spare 20L one I have for quaranteen but it'll have to do for the next few months until I can save up enough for a bigger one, it's got a hidy log and plants so he's fairly well covered. Luckily Godzilla is small (15cm nose to tail) hopefully it'll do him for now, I always keep the water clean, filtered and all that jazz but I'd like him to eventually have a proper sized tank, I'm looking at getting him one of those 2' aquaone tanks. He loves his earthworms although he's not a paticularly fussy eater. He's a sweet little thing, it's my first axy so you'll have to excuse my ignorance till I read up a little more, I haven't found any good books yet, but there was a little info in my exotic pets book. I've also looked em up on the net, but I'm always cautious about info on the net. I'd appreciate any tips and advice.

Thanks, actually I got a lot of info from those sites already. Abbey mentioned one of them a while ago and the other I googled. Cheers Lisa, that's the topic I was looking for! I never thought I'd own a golden one, but now I've got him he's grown on me :giggle: . Yeah, I'll definately need to upgrade his tank when I get the chance. It's going to be a challenge keeping his tank cool in the summer, I'll have to think of something. How useful are aquarium chillers? Can you get them for smaller tanks? cause I've only seen them avaiable for really big reef tanks and they cost an arm and a leg. For now I might use the ice bottle method until I can think of somethings better, we don't have aircon so when the weather warms up it'll be an issue.

You can use the fridge. I like the golden ones! Not nearly as much as albino's. I think because I have this thing in my head that makes me believe the goldies are jaundice! Klara can you post a picture? Godzilla is a Great name! :giggle:

Klara can you post a picture?

Godzilla is a Great name! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to post a pic, but I can't, it's really getting annoying.

The water bottle method is fine for me, I've gotta do the same for the rabbits anyway, they don't tolerate heat too well either, having an ice bottle in the hutch keeps the indoor section cool.

Oh and some good news, I noticed today that his damaged gill is growing back :lol: . I must be doing something right after all ;) .

Archived