Kuhli Full Of Eggs!

Callatya

One of my 4 adult kuhli loaches (Huey, Dewey, Louey and Streak) is about 2x its normal size, and is totally full of eggs! The entire bottom section of the fish has ballooned out and is so stretched the colour has started to look quite faded. She is swimming fine, but is breathing rather heavily. I'm a little concerned that she doesn't have her own hollow/nest yet. Her partner (a strapping young lad) has been following her around and fending off the clownies and the fusca, who are determined to sit on her and generally make life difficult :bighug: It really is quite bizzare. The tank has only been set up for a week and already the kuhlies are having fun and the fusca are displaying and today i caught two falx jousting and a couple of the wrapping in what has been christened 'the love cave' *lol* I don't know what happened! I think maybe the extra space has sent them all into overdrive. Anyway, kuhli-girl. She sped out from under a log at one point and a few tiny lime-green tinted white eggs fell out of her packed belly. They are about the size of a betta egg, but a little less spherical, and almost impossible to see on beachsand. I am not expecting little wigglers as I can't really move her and her loveloach, nor can i remove the boisterous and carnivorous rankmates, but I'd like for them to have a shot anyway. I am hoping next time I can be more prepared (she has been thi size before, but I never spotted actual eggs!) Does anyone know how this works?? Anyone bred these before? All the fish are about 4 years old and as fat as a pencil. This roed up female has a cross-section that would look somewhat like a pearshape, only the lower half of her body has expanded. I am so excited! Completely stupid as i know the babies probably won't occur, but i'm still bouncing off walls! I have eggs!! and green ones at that!

Too bad your khulis have carnivorous tank mates, but exciting all the same! :bighug: Any chance of being able to rescue the fry if any hatch and raise them elsewhere? But hey, if they do it once, the chance of them doing it again is much greater! Good luck!

Sort of green tinted white, like that glow-in-the-dark whitey green colour, when it isn't glowing. I'm trying to get a picture but she is hiding in the love cave under a clown loach (they are dreadful fish, always sitting on everyone!) I'll get a picture up ASAP :fish:

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Unfortunately after 6 tries, that is the best photo of her out of about 130!

She seems to have dropped some size since that first day, as she can swim somewhat now, but she is still quite large around the midsection (if kuhlies have a midsection?)

Archived