Giant Setup

Figure_8

So, with my current betta stock down to Phillip and Phillis (a pair of imbellis x's that I got from - yep you guessed it - Phil :)) I feel its now time to rethink the way I do things and which direction I am heading with bettas in general. From the very first time I had heard of them I've wanted Giants, so I figure I might as well get what I want. I have been watching them on Aquabid for quite a while, and come close to buying a couple but unfortunately each time there was something that didn't go my way. Anyways, while I'm waiting for that 'special' fish to come along I thought it might be a good idea to set things up the way I want beforehand. Ideally, since I don't have as much time to spend on my fish as I used to, I'd like a portable barracks setup. Portable is a must since it will need to move in about 9 months or so and unbolting it from a wall and trying to hide the evidence of its existance doesn't thrill me too much. Also budget. Doesn't have to look flash, but GB would flip at an eyesore too, so it has to be reasonable. Water volume is another question I have. What sort of water volume do you keep your barracked bettas in? What size containers would be appropriate for giants? I need to try and keep maintenance down as much as possible since my other hobby is now beginning to take up just as much time (if not more than) my fish hobby and I still have to squeeze time in for the family too. Yes, I want my cake and be able to eat it too, but I'm sure there must be some sort of low maintenance solution somewhere :thumbs: Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated. Also if anyone happens to have seen any nice giants floating around (that I wouldn't have to sell a kidney to buy) I'd love to know where :yes: TIA Mousie

I like giants! Eventually i will buy a pair, my favories would have to be Nicebettas' Giant Red HM PK ones. These usually arent 'that' expensive, Vinita seems to grade them into quality, like A grade and B grades and the prices varie - just keep an eye out :yes: I would say that a 10L tank would be fine to house adults in, i believe someone holds them in 3L containers after (or during) quarrintine. I had my purple marble giants in 2L bottles in the barracks system, admitedly i would of prefered to give them a bigger bottle. BTW - i cant believe that you still have the green imbellis pair!

Thanks Phil :yes: Nicebettas do have some nice fish. I've spent a lot of time drooling over the ones they have put up, but I'm being very fussy too. No doubt "the" fish for me will eventually come up if I'm patient though. HMPK's are usually the ones I zoom in on first, so chances are thats what I'll end up with. Dragons - the red and gold ones - are fairly high on my list too. Those imbellis are bomb proof!

Nicebettas have had some lovely Dragons too. There are a heap of Yellow Dragons on aquabid at present too. I have a real soft spot of the purples/Lavendar I must admit. Thats why I got my Giants from Eugene (Bettatrills) cause his colours are so stunning. Cheers Deb

Looks like there is a nice number of giants on aquabid atm :photo: Lisa, just a thought, but have you tried going to some Thai breeders and asking them if they have giants for sale? Privately? Don't forget to ask for photos before you buy though :photo: I like the look of some Dragons. Depends on how their color is distributed on their body and fins, and the form of the fins too. Those dragons you posted are lookers Phil :cheer:

Hey Mouse, I can highly recommend Vinita from Nicebettas as a seller. I buy a lot of HM's off her privately. She is very honest & helpful. I just email her with what I am after and she lets me know. If you request photos, she takes them for you, and if you buy that fish, that is the one you get. She is great. Might be a better option to buy privately from her than off AQB. Let me know if you need her details.

Archived