Newbie - Fw & Sw

fulltilt

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and to fish in general. I think I found the link to this site from ACE forums, but I've been reading SO much lately it's hard to say for sure. I got into fish a few months ago, getting a 6' tank on eBay and starting a community tank. Since then my wife and I have gone ballistic !!! ... now we know that fish are "easy", we have a 6' FW community, a 4' FW community and 4 bettas (just LFS ones). Got an electic mix of fish, the highlights are : - 2x BGK (8' and 10') - several large, breeding Bristlenose - FW eel - the usual neon tetras, black neons, black skirt/widow, swordtails, snails - and a few other fish that came with tanks here & there. Last weekend we started a barracks (well, I can see it will grow into one), with 2 males and 2 females in separate 5litre jars. Next learning curve : getting a marine tank VERY soon, I wanted 4' but luckily got 5' but with bioballs, so I have to get a refugium to really get it cranking. I'm on an almost vertical learning curve, but enjoying every minute and it's so relaxing to sit and watch the fish investigate when something has changed in the tank. Any advice you can give, fire away ... I need it :) , and I will help where I can but for the next few months will probably post dumb questions or just read - a lot! First question though : where is the dedicated marine board ? ;)

LOL, welcome Fulltilt! No such thing as dumb questions ;) Ask away :) Our dedicated marine board.. hm.. well... currently his name is Starwing ;) Its on the cards, but at the moment I think we only have 2 or 3 other salties on the board, so it might be a teensy bit lonely in there! We are working with threads on general until more of us make the move to 'the dark side' :) And vertical learning curves are the best type!

Sounds like you got bitten by the fishie bug in a major way

For YEARS (it feels like decades some times) I've looked at the tanks for sale in LFS windows, markets, etc... and always thought they were too expensive once you get the tank, the kit, all the extra stuff, and then stock it :) - but I thought all those items were frightfully expensive.

When I saw I could get the 6' tank cheap I decided to look into it further and I was so surprised at the (low) cost of some stuff ... ebay helps as well ;)

Archived