Possible All Girl Spawn + Discovery

Sarah

I'm fairly certain my Blue PK spawn (from HERE) is an all girl spawn.

They are 1 month, 3 weeks old. I have five of them jarred, and they've been jarred a good few weeks (can't remember date, must check spawn log.... computer uploading videos so really slow)- just jarred the biggest. Since those five being jarred, they've grown... but still are very feminine like - no sprouts, no nests, no aggressive male-like flaring. They look and act female.

I wasn't sure at first since this is my first PK spawn, and being shortfinned, would be harder to sex. However, I now have no apparent males.

Now to the "discovery" bit which may have caught your attention.

You may know I have another spawn going, from my red HM x red/orange cT female. They are exactly the same age... both pairs spawned on the same day. Both pairs hatched on the same day. Both spawns have had the EXCAT same treatment, when one got fed - so did the other. When one had a waterchange - so did the other.... with the SAME water.

With this red spawn, I have both males and females. I now have some boys nesting, and have had growths in finnage. Definite males. Definite females.

With this information, that would put the theory that different pH and treatment can make a Betta spawn all female out of practice. Had that theory been true, I would have two all girl spawns on my hands, not one.

This is a video of the blue spawn, taken Friday (before feeding, light was just switched on - so a bit small looking/washed out).

Edited by Sarah

I haven't heard about the parents age being a factor. With the red spawn, both parents were from Jim - so I don't know their age.

This all girl spawn was from a breeder, got the parents in the last SBG raffle - I'll contact her (she isn't a member here).

By the way, is the video loading for anybody else?

My bad, fixed now.

I've also heard temperature is an could be a factor, but both spawns are set at the same temp.

I don't think it's environmental anymore. Possibly it has to do with the parental age, some form of genetics or another factor altogether.

heres another theory http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1248

If a female Betta encounters only small males in her neighborhood, she might "infer" that the population is experiencing a deficit of males. If in mating with one of these runts, she produces an excess of males, she might leave more offspring to future generations than if she produced a 1:1 sex ratio in the spawn. Similarly, if a small female finds herself courted by the finest of large and robust males, she might likewise "infer" a deficit of females in the neighborhood and correspondingly produce a higher frequency of females in her spawn.

Funny you bring this up now Sarah. Two weeks ago I thought I was onto something. I only have 12 boys in the white spawn while my steel spawn is mostly male. Same food, water, care BUT the steel tank is 29-30 degrees and the white only 26-28.

Also was speaking to a guy at the show last week who also had a all girl spawn and his temp was 29-30. So there goes that theory. :-(

Edited by Busman

Hi Sarah

I think this is the artical that Razzi was talking about. I had it on bookmark. http://z7.invisionfree.com/BettaBreeders/ar/t995.htm I dont know if I did the link propy but the artical Is Sex ratio in Betta and it is a work by Gene Lucas

Cheers

Les

Edited by Bettarazzi
Fixed up link

There's a breeder called Basementbettas over in the US and she had a lot of spawns with all females in them. This was her take on the issue.

OMG.. have we had ratio issues! 200+ spawns of FEMALES! I used to spawn in lower ph water and it really wasn't "balance" with proper minerals. We are now and all I see is young boys in the spawns coming

Although I believe in coccina complex species even in the very soft water that is used to spawn them, a lot of people get a very skewed ratio of males to females.

It is probably a combination of factors, such as water quality, water softness/hardness and temperature. Now if I could somehow work out how to accomplish an all-female spawn I will be set *lol*