I want to know about your FANTASIES (for fish stores)

melbournebetta

Hey Ness,

When it comes to the rewards/discounts side of it. It can be as simple as those who wish can have their details entered onto the store database and every time they purchase something (could be 1 point for every dollar etc) after a certain amount of points could get a discount of some sort on certain items

or

another idea, for those who gain a certain amount of points get put onto some sort of VIP mailing/SMS list with certain specials offered to those who have accumulated a certain amount of points (this method may weed out those people who have come to the shop once or twice in a long time..to those who shop their on a regular basis for their aquarium needs) so they may receive a one time special on new products once a month etc.

I believe the best way to work out the best price range of specials would be to work out how much your customers are spending on average when they come to the shop so for example they are not receiving 10% discounts on 1 gazillion dollar tanks lol but on stuff a little bit more practical.

another idea, where instead of just discounts,for people have spent a certain amount in store could have an invitation only to the store after hours for a quick short course on scaping or something sort of DIY projects etc.

Muss

I agree with things like having colour codes or fact sheets next to tanks to let people know which fish are compatible, ph etc... That is much easier and free's up sales assistants to serve other people if customers can read the fact sheets and not have to ask about each and every fish but no doubt some still will. That is something I dont think I have ever seen in a lfs and would impress me if I did see it.

Think big! Touch screen digital fact sheets with pictures, ideal conditions, stocking rates compatible species etc.

Ultramodern display areas that look like modern art shows rather than shops.

Glass floors made from marine tanks with brilliant corals and lion fish n sheets.

BIG

So.. when can I bring my resume down? ;P

I think everyone covered everything I would change where work/dream workplace. Fish clearly labeled with basic info/scanned into an app. A range of small displays and1-2 large displays, with a lounge or seating available in front of them. A good quarantine and breeding room out the back. Appropriate cooling/heating systems(!!!!!) for staff and customer comfort and health. Rules enforced in store that parents with unruly children get one warning then are asked to leave before their child decapitates it's self by pulling a tank over... excuse my spelling. On my phone.

Edited by Yan

Yan - there is a full time job waiting for you, if you can cope with the Melbourne cold.

We will have lazers to protect tanks from children.... i'm zero tolerance on screaming and beating of tank glass.... however i just came back from the Melbourne Aquarium in the city - and that's all the kids in there seemed to be doing.

Sticky fingerprints on my glass = bad photography.

I want a "quick reference" sheet with all the basic info for each species on every tank - laminated and stuck on there with a little pic (this will take time to stocktake/develop) but I'm working on it.

Paul - we are tropical and freshwater only - so are you okay with the first front half of the shop just being one big pond?

I did mention dry-ice today on a sensor when you walk in so it's like a jungle, but the owner canned it (WHeRE /iS YOUR VISION MAN?)

Thanks so much guys - all this feedback has been wonderful... I'll be starting a thread once progress is made... I'd love to share the development of a little/big independent LFS that just wants to make the likes of YOU happy.

Overwhelming acknowledgment that you all find informed staff invaluable.... and if anyone in Melbourne knows of anyone looking for professional work in the retail aquarium industry - point them in my direction (:

x

• 2 weeks later...