Green Hornet HM Pair...

shadoh

OK guys, I need a fresh set of eyes on this pair. I am starting to doubt my colour vision.

Are this pair Metallic Royal Blue? Turquoise? Teal? Green? driving you crazy too? The video is a little dark, as I wanted to catch this colour without tank lights on. They are from this spawn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6kGNWH7OUc

that soundtrack!

....personally I see teal or turquoise, not as yet blue.

I also think that sometimes the green is present in turq/teal fish when there's a bit of red underneath that affects the way the colour reflects.

So hard to tell - you aren't going mad.. it's a confusing colour!

Especially when it's bloody green bodied, and blue finned ...is he really black on the edges of the tail ? it's a very sexy gradation of colour.

Very unusual result Jarrod. Are these the only two that have ended up this colour?

It looks like they are dark bodied teal to me. Blue green with that shimmering green/gold overlying it that constantly changes. But for this to happen, both parents need to have been heterogenous metallic. You would then have all the blues with all the ranges of metallic to non metallic showing up in the fry (if you have enough fry to make that statistically possible).

If they are the only ones, then maybe your seeing they are metallic (heterozygous) royal blue and they were lucky enough to develop the mutation without having "inherited" it. Unusual, but possible.

Thanks guys!

@ Ness, yes, he and most of the boys have inherited their dads black lace edging.

@ Paul, he is the only male this colour, but have several females like her. I did get the full range of blues with royal blue being the most prevalent. I also have varying degrees of metallic throughout the spawn. All have the neon blue "lipstick" that I have read is something of an indicator of a Betta with the metallic gene in it's background.

All in all, I can't wait for him to grow up. I might have to breed this pair to see what I get. And a said no more HM spawns.......

Thanks Toon, you snuck in there when I was typing out my reply. I am trying to get as much growth on these as possible - I want these in the show, but there are a little undersized at the moment and would not qualify sizewise.

• 1 month later...