$6 Betta :)

rainbowfish

I like red... is there any reason black wouldn't work? I like interesting and unusual results... the unexpected, dragons? My choices expanded now I know express posting fish to where I am works...

Oh should I stick to Veiltail types or would a HM female go ok? What about CT? Most of my 'pet store buys' I am doing outsdoors over spring and summer in pots tubs and ponds...so I have lots of room to grow the fry out with mozzie wrigglers I want the tough survivers...but if I spot anything extra special I will bring it indoors and fuss over it probably...

Edited by rainbowfish

Thanks I'll keep you in mind. I have an advantage down here when it comes to what will I do with excess fry... should not have much trouble selling them off the petshops sell out in a hurry if they get nice ones in usually most go day one. I don't know of any other breeders.

As long as you don't expect any real money for the veiltail varieties, most LFS can get them for less than a dollar per head.

Personally I'd be looking at extending the ray distribution and creating a really lovely veiltail with a bit "more" in the tail.... there are some really lovely veiltails out there, in my opinion I'd be trying to improve your man's form

Bettas4allstandardPhaseI-Fig3.jpg

It's really no mystery with what you'll get in terms of colour results, I guess the only surprises come when a fish looks solid colour but actually has marble genes hiding in there somewhere.

So he's essentially red, I see a really light layer of iridesence over the top through the scales and over fins, he also has marble, giving him the butterfly effect with cellophane and white, but odd-on he'll change colour, the butterfly pattern isn't very clear on him.

He's also got a very pale body, so cambodian or blond gene in there.

Plus black - well you'll probably get multicolours, blue might pop out somehwere, but I'd say this sort of thing:

aoc-betta-fish.jpg

Personally I'd find him a good extended red female:

Red_Female_Plakat%5B1%5D.jpg

or look for a solid coloured salamander female (maybe butterfly)

33762_458107416936_664356936_5745286_694

and then you'll get semi-predictable colouring, a really popular colour too I might add... and improve his form so the fish are desirable.

(: Just some thoughts on outcomes!

Thanks, he does have some pale sparkly blue in the tail it didnt show up in the picture. I have another boy I scored for $7 he was one that had melt he got over it and bounced back better than ever. His colour has improved now he is a really rich red with a metallic blue sheen over his back end and tail, feisty as anything but getting a pic of him has been a challenge he just never stops racing around like a maniac he even flares at plants lol

If you're looking at breeding him to get more fish the same colour as him, then your best bet is to breed him with a red, yellow, orange or black female. Minimal irids is the idea. Any of these will give you red fish, the marble/butterfly thing will pop up randomly in the fry. A black female will probably mean the fry turn out dark bodies reds rather than Cambodian.