Aquascaping trick nearly killed my fish!

A few months ago when I first started growing live plants I read about what I thought was a really smart way to attach java moss to rocks. On a few different sites (don't think AusAqua was one of them) people suggested to use a hairnet or bun net to hold the java moss to the rock.

I woke up this morning to my little salamander boy (Ness, this is the boy I got off of you, I named him Klaus) stuck to my moss covered rock! He had obviously decided to have a little snuggle in the moss and got all tangled up in the net. It looked really bad. The hairnet was all around his body and fins, including around his eyeball and gills. I had to take the whole rock out and very carefully cut him out with some tiny straight nail scissors. Fortunately he is absolutely fine and doesn't have a scratch on him but it could have been a lot worse! At one stage it looked like I was going to have to cut his ventrals off because the net was so tightly wrapped around them, luckily it didn't come to this. After half an hour I finally freed him.

Now it is so obvious to me that using any kind of net in your tank is a really dumb idea and maybe you guys would have thought this from the start, but I didn't. At the time it seemed really clever. I just wanted to warn anyone else considering doing this DON'T DO IT!! And if you have it in your tanks already please remove it. It's not worth the risk.

I had the same problem with fishing line when I tie the anubias cuttings to my rocks or wood. I found one two occasions that my fish has fishing line wrapped around them! but this is like all things it should be used with care.

Like fertilisers at the correct dosage can promote plant growth and give better water quailty while if used inorrectly can kill you fish.

Good catch though

Well done on saving the axo. :alright:

The net should have been very tightly wrapped around the moss where you cannot even pinch and lift it off the stone/rock when in place. It is easy for livestock to get tangled in it even if it is a few mm off the stone.

I am glad all is well now

Hope your boy heals OK!

Keep his water warm and clean, and if you have any Indian Almond Leaves, definitely use some.

It's been mentioned on here before that hairnets are a good idea (I use it for Ricca), just you definitely have to be careful when it comes to keeping them in with Bettas. Bettas really seem to manage to find themselves squeezing into the tiniest of spaces (under dividers, behind filters, and of course - hairnets).

Personally I have used this method in my Betta tank, but I did make sure to let the plant grow out a little bit, so the actual net isn't visible (or accessible by an over curious Betta), before putting it in.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Klaus is acting completely normal, what a tough little guy. He has IAL and salt in the tank which I use all the time.

The hairnet was pretty tight, but I wouldn't say it was so tight that I couldn't stretch it away from the rock. I guess this is where I went wrong. I still don't think I'll use this method again. What I went though this morning kind of traumatized me, and I wasn't the one stuck in the net. I think I'll stick to using cotton, the at least if they get stuck it is easier to free them.

Oh my little Noodle man (great name by the way!)

Poor idiot - god they're always getting into trouble, if there's a hole or flap or avenue to get trapped and drown, my kids will find it.

Good save, much longer and he would have been in quite a bit of trouble.

Glad to hear he's coming good (idiot)

I was watching Jordan tying java to a piece of driftwood and jokingly asked him to give me a tutorial.

He just looked at me and said:

For your sorority right?

Yep

Betta only?

Yep

Just tie it on really tight

Sansei has spoken.

Dito MTS

If any fish can a betta can Had one in a log yesterday all she had to do was swim backwards but na still there this morning so I lifted her out I am going to call her Dory

Cheers

Les

They love their little nooks, silly little things! One of my other boys loves to jam himself between the filter and glass, that's were he sleeps. He looks like he's squished but he loves it! The cutest thing is when my yellow boy, Victor, sleeps amongst the IAL. He finds where two leaves overlap and squeezes in there. I usually can't spot him until he moves. At least that's a bit more natural. Roy gave me a good tip to put corks under them to keep them floating.

I can't believe how well Mr Klaus is doing though. He is 100% normal! Eating, swimming around all happy and not a scratch on him! I promise I'm looking after him Ness!