Half Black Red Tails

les

I got a very small male of a friend and he also gave me two half black girls and thats where these guys come from this is about the fith gen and each time I have selected for size of male and dorsel out of each drop I have only kept two males the rest have fertalized the banana trees and this is where I am at

IMG_0358.jpg

The dorsel is about twice to three times as long as the origenel male

IMG_0361.jpg

The girls are now sporting just red tails and the couler is getting brighter

IMG_0352.jpg

This shots a bit blured but when Melissa was over she said they looked like they had pony tails I think this shot explains it

The males are now as big as the girls which I realy like

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Hi Matt

This is how I set up my cryteria.

1. Size, They have to be biger than the previuse gen

2. Fine size and shape, I picked the males with the bigest dorsels and tails and put these to the bigest fined females

3. Couler as you can see was bnot the first thing on my list but is getting there now

If there was a fish that didnt have the fins but had the couler I put that fish to one that didnt quite have the couler but had the fins. I must say though that I did do masive culling of anything that wasnt the best that ment in one spawn once they where grown I only kept two males and four females. I kept the parents till they had grandkids and then culled them as well. I dont want to breed with infearia fish so thats wy the heavy culling. I am just seeing the best results now and this is the fourth or fith generation I think it will take another four before they are realy somthing nice and breed true to form

Cheers

Les

PS I did get a tri couler out of a batch only one male so I will go along the same lines with him

Nice work! Looking very good. In future generations when your other criteria is being consistently met also check for clear separation of colour from caudal peduncle to tail.

Caudal peduncle=dark black

Tail=red with no black hints

Well done!

Hi Serkan

I have a spawn of Half black X full black that had very lcear definition so I am hopping these can be used for a bit of an outcross then breed back in to give a crisper definition maby

Cheers

les

Les, I have been reading this thread with great interest. I like your style :D

How many tanks have you got dedicated to guppies? I am thinking of developing a strain of my own, but can't decide what I want (can't even decide on colour)

Matt, guppies with HM spread aren't new (possibly lost and re-discovered.) I remember as a kid in the 80's, seeing some amazing guppies in certain pet stores. They had some of the widest caudals I have seen to date.

@ Matt

Realy not a fan of HMs. I supose I am a bit old fasioned becouse I realy like the Delta type Oh and double swords But one thing at a time.

@ Serkan

I am not to sure if all Moscow are HM

@ Jarrod

I have eight tanks but the three largest I will have to devide shortly so I have more grow out room thats the hardest part keeping so many till you know whats you are going to keep but it getss easyer with every gen as you get to know wnat your looking for

Jarrod I recon you should just grab the bull by the horns pick somthing attainable and stay focused, I think staying focused is the hardest part couse you get some realy nice ones along the way like my tri couler boy but I wont have the space to work on developing the likes of him till I get a purpose built fish room. give it a go Jarrod it is realy good fun

Cheers

Les

Hi Les, I'm impressed with a couple of things here :

First: you seem to have improved your photography skills amazingly in a very short period. Lol!

Second: you seem to have achieved a lot in a very short time with these guppies. Well done!

That second picture... Is that a juvenile male currently, or is that what your males looked like before the selective breeding?

Hi paul

I have been practicing a lot, I have taken so many dud shots but am getting the hang of the new camara. Yes a juvie male Paul. your right Matt its the wrong Pic I do have a girl that looks identical she is a spawn sister to him I will try get a pic of her as there is no dark in her fins they are as clear in couler as his I have had heaters going all the time with this lot and have only feed them live food grindels and black worms with big water changes you can get a spawn out every three to four weeks like that. The fry mature quickly when the tank is heated and there is lots of room to grow and the water is changed every three days, yes lots of work but good results. I also think what I started with wasnt as bad as it looked it just needed nurturing as the gens where there

Cheers

les

Edited by les

Hi Razzi

As soon as I have culled out down to the last two or three. it is getting earlyer each time but I think thats becouse I know what I am looking for with this lot I wouldnt say it would be the same if I got a new lot to select from though as I would have to see them grow and what became what I have culled my half black full black spawn already at 8 weeks but I want clear lines with them. I have kept all the red ones from it in a seperate tank as I dont know what to expect from them as some are turning slighly yellow MMM.

Cheers

Les

Do you keep all the drops from a pairing? Or just the first drop? What I mean is: you choose a pair and mate them, 4 weeks later there's a drop of fry. It's going to take a few months before you can choose the next gen but in the meantime the female will keep dropping fry every 4 weeks. Are you keeping those? Or cull them and wait for the first lot to show their form? I'm planning on exercising a bit more discipline with my guppy program so I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of how many tanks etc. I know some people raise all the drops separately.

When I first started I kept two drops and yes I kept them seperate.

When I compared the two drops there wasnt realy much diferance with what i got so for the next three I kept only there first drop so I could see what each trio would produce and from that selected the trios that where giving me what I wanted. That worked out to be a lot of fish and with that many in a tank water quality demanded a lot of water changes

With the ones I am keeping now I have let them do two drops in the big tank as I have been busy with Betta spawns. I had only two male in the big tank so I know who the fathers are and they are sibs so the genes are the same. From what I select from the tank will go in to seperate tanks with only one male and two females like I had it set up before this is so much easyer to handel. I can sit for a day looking at the guppies and taking my time to choose and I think that makes a differance.

I have been talking with a guy called Kev and one of his friends is a guppie breeder, he has stock from Jodie so Kev is going to introduce him to me so I will be able to ask questions about how he works his show stock and hopfully see his set up and improve mine.

I hope this helps Razzi, I realy do think picking a goal and then staying focused on it is the best bet for any breeding plan.

Cheers

Les

I am no expert in this area and am still learning myself but I think I just landed on my feet with this combination

Edited by les

Hi Razzi

Yes Im feeling ya Buddy. I do somtimes get a bit overwelmd with the guppies,

The tank these guys are in is big and I have been putting of stripping it to get all the fry out as I have been waighting for two vertabray to heal yes I fractured another two it seems to only happen when I use the twenty five ltr bucket at water changes but I have been warned by the Dac and Chiro that I have to change to a different method or I will have permanent damage so now I have a few drops of fry in the one tank and a lot of work ahead of me but they wont be going back into a planted tank after this as IU will put the Channs in there

Cheers

Les