The fight in fighting fish

Luke k

I have a feeling that the true killer instinct could in fact be bred out of Bettas. One of my males found his way into his friends tank and they are actually living with each other OK, granted the tank is a good size 300x450x300 but they don't seem to be bothered by each other. I then threw some females in there and I now have a nice community tank tank of bettas... I am wondering, if like other pet breeds we can infact breed out the fight in these fish... well to a certain extent, we still want them to flare ;o)

It would be extremely hard, they have evolved to be territorial, like many other animals. It is like wanting to breed out the hound instincts in hound group in dogs, which I am sure take effort in finding the even gene that is responsible for this, and work from there. Wouldn't you want a fish that still has it's natural instincts that it has evolved to become? It's is one of the things I love about fish the most, the fish with territorial instincts and spectacular courting behaviors & of course their interactions amongst themselves. :( Although, Ideally, it would be nice to have a tank full of splendens that live in harmony in your display tank. :( If people want to breed out the territorial instincts out of bettas, what is the main reason?

I have a hunch that if you somehow managed to breed out the agressiveness in bettas ultimately you will breed them into extinction. Agressiveness is part and parcel of their spawning instinct. I have never had any success spawning a fish that does not initially flare at its prospective partner. Speaking of flaring, since thats also part and parcel of their agression display you would lose that too. I think bettas would lose a lot of their appeal to people should they not flare and display. I highly doubt I would have been initially attracted to bettas (any more than your other ordinary tropicals) if they didn't have the flares, shimmies and personality that they do anyway.

True, but we are then left to decide on who breeds with who, and we have all seen the effects of that = Gorgeous fish, with perfect 180 degree spread, yet so weak they cannot hold their own tails up to swim properly. Then you get some of those crazy breeders out there who cut off HM's tails so they do not drag and does not interfere in breeding them again.

By trying to selectively breed the aggression out of bettas, you would also be breeding out their stamina and will to breed. Also, you would need to breed for form and deportment as well as less agression and to do this would be impossible, as a betta needs to have some aggression to hold his finnage and be a betta. In my opinion, selective-breeding to produce non-aggressive bettas may well turn that line into a sickly withering twig, with bettas floating at the surface all lethargic. Although it would be much more easier and conveniant if male bettas could be kept together in one tank, how often would you see them flare? All the males I've ever kept together in the community tank became sickly and battered by the females, they just do not like it. They aren't called Fighting fish for nothing. The character and territoriality and deportment of bettas is what attrected many of us to bettas in the first place, and I personally don't want these features to change :)

in my opinion if you call the act of fighting the fish inhumane, breeding the fish so that they lose will to fight is even more inhumane. its like some mad scientist breeding humans until they have lost their free will or something. without the fighting instinct, how would you get the fish to flare and show their finnage? breeding fighting fish not to fight would also mean changing alot of other things. for example, how would a male get a female to submit to him and breed? theyd have to invent a whole new technique. the very foundation of fighting fish character as we know it would be destroyed completely. its more like trying to create a new species.

Anyone had a fish that fell into the *Too Dumb To Breed* category can probably safely say that a bit of fight is a good thing! I agree loongfu, its not right to breed the spark out of them. On the other hand, comparing wild B. splendens to the feisty fancies, the wilds are far more docile. I think somewhere in there we managed to breed a little bit too much fight into them (necessary for fighting fish, a bit overkill for showfish) and now we may be going too far in the other direction. If we could end up with a fish with the spunky attitude of a wild splendens, that would be ideal in my mind :)

Yes, bettas with the spunky attitude of wild splendens would be nice, but because I've always thought deportment was linked with aggression, would fancy Hm bettas be able to flare their fins like they do if they were more 'wildish'? I can't say I've seen a wild betta with more than a VT-type plakat tail, so I can't really compare...

Hi all, I've seen this discussion already for many times on different forums since I'm into this hobby. Too my opinion this it is impossible to breed the fight out of betta splendens and at the same time maintain a healthy species. The behavior of the Betta as we know it today is the result of years of evolution. The aggressive behavior is part of their whole development and necessary to maintain a healthy strain. I believe this aggressive behavior has strong links with the their way of reproducing and actually is necessary to be successfull. Off course it is known that there are less active/aggressive strains in domestic bettas, this mainly because of inbreeding. But most of the time these strains have great difficulty in breeding and actually sometimes completely loose their ability to do so without outcrossing to another strain. I personally prefer to keep a vital and aggresive flaring betta above a lazy non-flaring fish. When you want to keep beautiful colored fish which can be kept peacefully together in one tank I think you should consider keeping another species like goldfish or guppies...........I think this can save you from a lot of dissapointment and most of all waste of time. Just my thoughts......... Many greetings from the Netherlands, Joep

Lazy bettas look sad. So do bettas that can't lift the weight of their own fins. Far better to have them aggressive and showy.

for how long?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh not for long... just the week or two it took me to figure out that I needed to go buy a tank because there were a hellava lot of them surviving, despite the massive die back that goldfish fry who live in punchbowls do naturally. It was the dog that took them out of the pond in the first place. I saved them from hot bricks and the punchbowl was the best option.

They're 10 months old now only 9 survived to adulthood and all muttleys because my small pond just had one of every kind of adult. The metallic ones have just got their colours and I have a panda coloured nymph (fat bodied single tail) from a white fantail and a shibunkin! I like these muttleys... a statement that would get me thrown out of a goldfish club, no doubt.

Was the pot with 200 betta bigger than a punchbowl?

Archived