In a perfect world, What would you want in a commercially available Barracks

melbournebetta

The eternal dilemma of keeping multiple males or a collection of Betta in a nice display tank is always a tricky one... there's so many solutions, but you're going to have to come up with them yourself... because there isn't much available on the market for pre-fab barracks or display tanks. There's your Aqua One barracks, but the reviews are: small compartments and noisy pumps.... and everything else I've seen is someone else's hand-me-down custom barracks, and they're few and far between.

What if there was someone out there interested in filling that gap in the market?

What advice would you give them? What suggestions would you make? What would YOU want in a tank?

Things like:

How many fish would you want to keep in a display barracks?

How many litres would you suggest each cell has?

How big would you want the barracks?

With shared filtration/heating, how important is being able to isolate one cell?

Do you prefer bare bottomed or gravel base tanks?

If you had a barracks setup (with say 4 or 8 fish) how many times would you be prepared to do water changes?

With a display tank, do you want an inbuilt storage container?

Would you want a lighting system as an optional extra?

Can you think of any other considerations for the design of a barracks?

-waterflow

-filtration

-shared heating

-the ability to isolate

-cabinetry

-sturdiness

-height

-need to card?

-modular (so you can add more later if you want)

...anything else?

Love to hear your thoughts.

(:

I might seem like a freak since I've been concerned about this since my first spawn log, but: an easy way to clean the bottom of each compartment. Plenty of poos in there. Even though it may not affect the water chemistry due to the bacteria and all, it looks just ugly. After all, if it's for display, it's supposed to be clean.

The simple barrack I have now, which is practically a bigger tank but separated into 4 compartments are almost imposssible to clean the bottom. It's still possible but very difficult. This is probably why this point comes first to mind..

Okay, the rest, I might be using your questions to make my life easier..

Umm.. as many as I can? probably to fill the empty wall in my room. But maybe about 5 per level with 2-3 levels

As opposed to each cell, I'd be more concerned about the size of the whole system. But for each cell, around 2-3L would be okay I guess. (though, 2-3L short one, not tall cell)

Would really depends on the whole system; as I need to plan for the power plug and the shape of the barracks.

With shared filtration/heating, how important is being able to isolate one cell?

Um.. I don't really get this. So with shared filtration/heating, why'd you want to isolate one cell? Then that one cell would not able to get any filtration or heating? In case of disease, it'd make him worse without filter/warm water? (It'd prevent spread of disease, but taking the infected fish out would also prevent the spread of disease)

Since it's for display, I'd say substrate based - not necessarily gravel though. It'd be awesome if some cell can have sand, some can have soil and some gravel. Each cell has its own 'theme'. Okay, I'm starting to talk absurd now..

If you had a barracks setup (with say 4 or 8 fish) how many times would you be prepared to do water changes?

This again, depends on how big the whole system. 4-8 fish in 20L (2-5L each) would need more frequent water changes than 4-8 fish in 50-70L.

Um, not sure what's the purpose of this, but I'd say no, so the fish can have more space for them.

Yeah, since it's a display, no light, would make it hard to see them especially during the gloomy days or nights.

I.. can only think of the impossible lol.

these are my answers based on what i find has worked for me after trying many different ways

As many as I like!! incase i find a fish i must have but my tanks already full, so adjustable and movable dividers that also wont fall over or have gaps fish can squeeze past.

5L

on the larger size

2ft - 3ft

for me not important i treat sick fish by removing them to another tank or adding them to a 2L coke bottle that floats in there compartment.

I currently have bare bottomed it doesnt assit me in anyway as they are filthy anyways :P but i am considering a change to Under gravel filtration soon as it might look nicer then the sponge filters i have in every other compartment..

once a week

what is it? for food? pumps?

Yes i would definetly want lighting

a permanent home for around 5/7 breeder males and then space for juveniles... so Neffy's adjustable dividers sound pretty good

min 3/4L of swimming space, long rather than tall

volume of tanks + sump space

i dunno? I definitely think there should be a quarantine space somewhere (probs not necessarily in the barracks though)

Don't mind. But display wise, gravel's going to look better methinks.

once a week. Though the fish shouldn't start dying if left longer than that.

?

lighting's a definite yes. the barracks need some sort of flora in with them. (low light plants are enough)

lids? you hear lots of horror stories about fish jumping out... that's something i'd like to lower the risk of.

must be heartbreaking - especially when losing imported fish that way.

Edited by MT Syndrome

Thanks heaps guys - and if anyone's got anything further to add, I'd love to hear it.

There's a bit of "product development" going on at the moment and hopefully some exciting new barracks available on the market somewhat soon.

A few prototypes on their way - so word to the wize, if you're like me and having a barracks conundrum.... just hold your horses a little bit longer and you might have something worth putting on the Christmas wishlist.... that'll solve all your breeder / keeper / betta housing issues!

x

Who is doing this product development? Is it a company or an individual or a collaboration of individuals? I am intrigued!

More info! :)

probably around 20 fish

minimum of 4 L, preferably 5.

well big enough to hold 20 fish in 5 L cells I guess :)

I guess it is important but not top of the list.

Probably go for gravel or sand over bare bottom.

Again, once a week. With an easy way of doing so- inbuilt tap in the sump perhaps.

More info? like a inbuilt stand below it? Or a cupboard above it?- If so: yes.

Definately.

Also lids- plus ease of access and removal of cells and an option to add more cells somehow.

Edited by Rhys

I'll let you know how it 's all progressing, just individuals at the moment.... nothing like the clout of the existing pre-fab tank makers out there!

All this feedback is going directly to the makers so we can incorporate it into the design.

Personally, I'll be waiting till the finished product is ready instead of buying heaps of glass and making it myself!!

I think a Barrack system should be scalable. Base unit can start with approx 8-12 cells and you can add to the system in 4 cell modules. or a module for a small female tank? This would affect the total weight

How many fish would you want to keep in a display barracks? happy with approx 12

How many litres would you suggest each cell has? 2-3L

How big would you want the barracks? 75cm base x 1m in height

With shared filtration/heating, how important is being able to isolate one cell? Removable Cells. Based on a sump system with the ability to drain / top up the sump from the side.

Do you prefer bare bottomed or gravel base tanks? Bare bottom.

If you had a barracks setup (with say 4 or 8 fish) how many times would you be prepared to do water changes? Weekly

With a display tank, do you want an inbuilt storage container? For accessories for the tank maybe. Dry food etc.

Would you want a lighting system as an optional extra? For sure

Can you think of any other considerations for the design of a barracks? The fittings be of good quality. Individual on/ off switches for heaters/ pumps / lighting, as well as a master switch.

10-20 permanantly and 30-40 fry.

4 litres for the adults and1-2 for fry.

3-4 feet

Cells and groups of cells should be able to be isolated for quarentine and sick fish.

Gravel

once or twice a month, I go away a lot and sometimes thats all they would get.

Shelves underneath would eb useful.

Yes, I use plants to filter the water so I don't need to chang ethe water as often.

Display worthy, rounded edges so it is easier to cleen algae. Minimal water disturbance to slow th egassing o of C02

10 - 12 probably

4L to 5L

however big it needs to be for that

Extrememly important!!!

I love gravel bottom for aesthetics but bare is easy clean

once a week would be good...A1 barracks has real bad evaporation

?? probably not

Yes! energy efficient would be great

Well, I guess thats a good question....

As you might know I've been struggling with a barracks system for... e.v.e.r - currently my poor fish are in an UGLY but functional setup, but i'm still doing water changes every 3 days.

I like the idea of something that starts small - like one row of 6 or 8 or something compartments, each with decent space for an adult betta, that you can kind of... expand on it, as your collection gets bigger.

i want someone ELSE to work out the logistics of filtration/sumps/pumps because i just. don't. get. it. (nor do i really want to)

And let's face it.. most barracks / multiple tank systems / fishrooms look messy and just kinda... I don't know... yuk. None of my friends "get" my fish obsession - cos the fish setups are all sooooooo ugly.

I want to share my beautiful fish with my friends and family too... so I'd really like a setup thats kinda in-built too - you know?

What if they could see nothing but the amazing little fish flaring their faces off, and didn't see any of the bloody tubes or filters or.... you get what i mean.

Something that "frames" the glass, shows the fish off, is practical and accessible for the fish keeper, safe for fish, and BIG enough to shut up the RSPCA nuts, something that's effective and LOOKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD-h

Thusfar it's been impossible, but it sounds like there is a bit of energy going into the betta world - these fish have had an influx of popularity, and the retailers are on to it... manufacturers are hearing us begging for better betta barracks (sounds like a slogan)

So, that's my story, that's what I want... and I figure, if one betta keepa wants it - it's probable that it might help another.

Thus my help with the developers of a new betta barracks system that might be commercially available soon.

fingers n fins crossed eh?

-Ness