Pregnant Guppies

Shaun85

They get really fat and swollen, have a boxlike appearance from the front.

Their belly actually gets red, and I think from memory, thats the eyes of the babies.

She will also slow down a lot, ours used to basically just sit on the bottom of the tank, or hang around the filter.

We used the breeding traps in a separate tank, as the babies will get eaten.

Takes about a month before they pop also

Yeah it will get more black and eventually you will see the little red eyes of the babies. I found the biggest giveaway is that they seem to find a spot alone and not move around much.

We just gave away our guppies last week, about 30 adults and more than 70 one-month-old babies... the bf wants to move onto bigger and better things LOL

Unfortunately i didnt plan on breeding them and one of the first ones i got from LFS was pregnant. I had about 5 in total pregnant then last week when i lost 15+ fish alot of them were guppies. My biggest disappointment was losing my snakeskin one :(

I have never noticed guppy belly going red but I don't have any anymore so cant go check :D

I always just left mine in the tank and let nature take its course, otherwise you end up over run by baby guppies.

As for not breeding them.....I don't think that's possible unless you separate the males and females from a couple of weeks of age. You would pretty much have to keep each one in its own container until you could assertain its sex and then put all the same sex in one tank. At least, that's what I've been led to believe. Even if you keep females away from the males you will still get babies for a few months in a row after.

I have never noticed the gravid spot go red either, they shouldn't have red eyes unless they are albino. Once you have them a while you will just sort of know when they are ready to drop, they do it like clock work, my endlers drop every 23 days :)

I believe guppies drop every 28 days, endlers is every 21 days.

I've noticed that some endlers does have with a red colour. But most are black... The females get so big that you think it's going to explode then you'll know that she's going to drop soon.

Mine must be getting close to dropping if they drop at 28 days then. If i dont separate the fry is it a 100% necessity for them t o have fry food ? As you might of been able to tell i am not really interested in a tank full of guppies lol and given i have 4 or 5 pregnant ....yeah

if you don't separate them then you're likely to lose most of the fry due to the parents will eat them and also other fish in your tank will also find them to be tasty treats.

I don't fed my endlers fry food coz I have a 3 ft planted tank and the baby endlers is able to eat some of the micro-organisms in the tank to they grow big enough to eat pellet food.

• 2 weeks later...

Previous to the last discussion do you think she has long to go now? i separated her in case.

Lets see her can guess what day she will give birth :P

04092011256.jpg

04092011263.jpg

As i know nothing about when to expect guppies to give birth my guess will be for 08/09/2011 :P and 7 fry :P

well they are gonna be up the creek without a paddle lol cause all thats in that tank is some moss and 2 anubias plants lol :)

I wasnt attempting to breed them so i am not particularly phased if some get munched on though i might leave them separated for a bit cause i am intrigued as to what color they will be considering i dont know who the father is.

What is your guess for the birth date lol ?

I've found my female drops one/two days after I've isolated her from the community tank (since my community tank isn't very fry friendly at all)... i think I remember reading something about females holding sperm for like 6 months until they feel comfortable/secure enough to drop.

good luck with your guppy girl though ;)

Hey Shaun, from the looks of that photo your girl is nowhere near ready to drop yet, she is still way too round looking from the front. They really do end up looking quite square :lol: You also need to bear in mind the fact that guppy girls can hang on to sperm and have up to 5 drops with out a male being in the tank at the time :blink: If your girls were preggers when you got 'em even if you take them out of the community now and keep them in a sep. tank you could still be over-run!! As for food, even the fry I kept in a sep. tank never got fry food, just really finely crushed flakes (the only reason they were kept in their own tank was so I could segregate the boys as I wanted the flash and colour without the kids!!) If you want to keep some of the kids then a breeder net and sep. tank for grow out is the way to go. If you're like me and got in this mess by accident but want to see what you get, then do the same. If it's survival of the fittest then chuck in a few extra plants (don't even need to plant them, floaters are fine)and see how you go :lol: good luck Nanna Jo B-)

My female Guppies bellies always go red, and even from the side, their belly gets more of a point (as was said before, more boxlike and square) a few hours before they drop.

If I can't move a female when I see her change like this, she always births in the tank and there are never any surviving fry. Saying that, even having her somewhere by herself, my females still eat their own fry. Terrible parents. <_<

edit: Sorry, I didn't read the post's on the 2nd page. Probably just repeating what has already been said. :embarrass:

Edited by Lilly