A Barrack Bonanza

melbournebetta

OMG LOL!. It took me a while to figure out what that cat was doing! XD haha!

The Mini Aqua one internal filter in the coldwater tank is really really quiet, sometimes i think its broken o.O but then see the outflow of water moving part of the fake plants.

I'm throwing this one to Cam at Coburg who has offered to put his Aquacultured brain to the impossible task of making me a pretty barracks (fussy tart)

But part of me just wants to place the order and get on with it!!! poor lil fishies rolling around in their tiny houses sooking about their rights.

YEAH YEAH I'm working on it!

:P

If you cant put a tank together and I know you can, then you can build a barracks just follow a plan like razzi has or Kermadan and bobs your uncle ya gota barracks

Just have faith and you will fell forfilled doing it youself

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Thanks for the vote of confidence Les.... I'm keen to get going on it, it's just which design is going to be best.

Here are the options thus-far: (in order of preference):

bk2-1.jpg

Each barracks design ends up at 60lt each x 2, so = 120 lt ( Eheim Classic 2215 is rated for aquariums up to 350L)

And here's the breakdown of option 1ish...

Just some ideas...

bk3.jpg

Totally open to modifying the filter outlet so that each barrack gets it's own adjustable flow into the top, and will still have perforated bits, or an open bit at the bottom to suck out the gunk.

I imagine I'll also be fiddling with this weekly and using the sucky bit of the filter within each cell to do a kind of "direct filter" and vac up the muck.

...anything's gotta be better than the second daily water changes.

I'm hoping to keep the whole project under $250 by using the Eheim and around $100 per barracks for the glass.

The headache of keeping all my beudiful fish alive: priceless

Option 2 is ultimately what I went for with my 10 bay display tank. There is a .5cm gap at the bottom of the divider that blocks the back of each bay to the sump. I added gravel in each bay and find that most of the waste gets sucked through into the sump at the back. I made my own "spray bar" out of pvc pipe and have lengths of airline tube pushed under the gap and sticking out of the gravel. I'm very happy with the water quality and the ease of cleaning...

Fantastic!

Thanks Jarrod, I'm getting me the feelin' that I can order the glass... be it with the 2 aqua ones or the eheim.

How often do you do WC's? and do u have to siphon anything out in between?

I'd probably have the .5 cm gap running between barracks to encourage flow too (just a small gap, not the whole way)

Has anyone had any experience silicone perspex/acetate ?

Could I use the same stuff? hmmmmz

I built number three but number two (not twos) is just as good its all hourses for courses and once you have one up and running you will want to alter and try out new theories as long as it makes the job easyer it makes it more enjoyable

Cheers

Les

Thanks Paul. I had totally forgotten about that thread. *lol*

I did away with the poly tube outlets as they were constantly getting blocked. I might revisit the idea one day when I have some time. I just thread the airline under each divider to pump in fresh water...

Oh my god this is perfect ! Exakery what I had in mind.

I'm going to get all NIKE on it - and JUST DO IT (ordering glass - wooh - yeah - don't try and stop me ....unless you have a GREAT reason... any will do)

I thinks it's the

Aqua One Maxi 103F Internal Filter

x 2 and then I can use the Eheim for the growouts.

I think I've also resolved that I'll have little 5 mm gaps under the divider /sump wall at the back, and spray-bars with airline (like jarrods image above) coming into the top of the cells, at this stage they'll be just held in place with bulldog clip till I can find something to finish it with.

Question: has anyone had any issue with fish getting through a 5mm gap? my kids will be 6+ months.

Might also place a black bit of plastic in the sump against the back wall to hide all the back-stage works/heater/pump, as this will be my photography tank (kinda)

SO IN CONCLUSION:

barracks.jpg

This is the principal concept... Ten points.

Now it's time to throw money at glass, masking tape and explain to the angry breeders that their condo is on it's way.

x Ness

Hey Ness - thanks for the vote of confidence...like I like to say "up there for thinkin', down there for dancin'.... somethin', something'!"

I also like the underwater/underdivider spray bar, and now also have to agree 5mm gap might be a bit big. I've had smallish newly jarred fry get through tiny gaps fairly easily. Hope the move into high density property development works out for you!