Stands

Callatya

What do you use for stands for your tanks? I started off using pine stands, but after one ended up shaping itself like a >, i'm scared stiff of the things. Most are held together with glue and nails, and thats never going to work once you get so much weight on it. I have now moved over to hammerlok shelves, whichh are great, stable, and reasonably ok looking, but they come with particleboard shelving, which needs serious sealing. Mine are now gloss black. How many people here have metal stands/racks? These seem very common in the USA, but not over here. Anyone have cabinets? I'm thinking of getting a cabinet made (properly!) for a display tank, and i'm curious how you find them for maintenance etc.

I still use the pine stands, although i always put screws into every joint before using them, even though they look sturdy, i dont trust 2 small nails and some glue. like lisa, with the smaller tanks for the bettas i use the metal ones from bunnings.

My 2 ft tank is on a small bookcase turned sideways, so the shelves give a bit of extra support. I have two sets of metal shelves that I put together to hold tubs, jars and a spawning tank. My friend left some stuff at my house while she's overseas, so now I have a very sturdy desk that's just the right size for three 2.5 ft tanks. Only one set up at the moment though. I have two 4ft tanks with a metal stand. It's a bit rusty and I don't know if it could support both tanks so I've only got one on it. It's not sitting level either. I don't know if it's the floor or the stand, so for now it's just got a little bit of water in it to keep jars warm. I'll have to get a new stand (eventually) before I set it up. Oh, and I'm getting a 3ft tank from my friend and it's got a proper stand and hood and everything :lol:

I use the 350kg* rated hammerlok shelves - I cover the MDF with pretend pine contact - almost looks real - just ask Jo :) I also use foam under each tank and a spirit level to make sure that the shelves are perfectly level (in every direction). Cheers, Di EDIT: * I use the 350kg rated system mainly because I beleive in overkill especially when fish and glass and water is involved.

Great rack set up NAM!!...are those kribs in the big tank??. I was going to buy four of the high racks with wood bottoms from bunnings for the revamped fishroom but I found a guy who will weld me up some racks and paint them for roughly the same cost. After seeing NAM's power points I think I'll get them fitted like that too.

thanks for the comments but i can't take credit for the design. the previous owner built the rack system but i have revamped a lot of it. it isn't that hard to make yourself but it will take a lot longer than building a wooden rack (especially if you have a nail gun handy). but the hollow square section steel makes it neater to hide wiring. if i were to make another rack, i would definitely try to leave more room between the top of each tank and the shelf above it. it is a little too tight in this set up and that's been a constant annoyance. just start by measuring and cutting your 4 vertical sections. link them up with horizontal sections allowing enough room for the length of your tanks. there will be 3 tiers so make 6 horizontal sections for front and back. then measure and cut 9 cross members to join up the front and the back sections. plan where you want to run the wiring and drill/cut holes in the vertical sections. weld up the crossmembers so that there are 3 per tier. you can make the the height adjustable feet by welding a nut to the bottom of each leg. then screw in a bolt and double nut it to keep it locked. in terms of costs, there's about $30 steel, $10 in nuts and bolts, $150 in electrical supplies and fitting. it would take a good weekend from start to finish. PS they are my juvenile kribs.

Archived