A NEW SPAWN!

Sarah

Now that I've got your attention let me begin.

Becki kindly gave me two Apple Snails on Saturday, and last night, I think I saw them mating.

newtoday010.jpg

Mr. Cory. ;)

newtoday009.jpg

newtoday008.jpg

No eggs as yet, I believe they lay above the water line, and the eggs look like a raspberry.

This may not be exciting for you, but it is my first time even owning a snail, and is quite interesting. :)

They were kinda 'rotating', and afterwards, what I assumed was the female was doing this sort of weird.. um.. thing where she looked as if to lay an egg, but nothing came. :blush:

Later on, the male & female came to go together again, and then one of them fell off the glass. It was funny in a mean sort of way. Poor snail, they often fall silly things.

While I'm on the topic, do Apple Snails eat plants?

newtoday003.jpg

newtoday002.jpg

@ Shadoh and Busman - don't know what you two are laughing about....at my age things like this can induce heart failure :blush: I shall henceforth be known as Nanna (I can almost guarantee i'm older than you lot!!) :lol:

@ Sarah - that was mean young lady, I got all excited (did think Bloody Hell...that was quick! :lol: ) now I find out you're on about snails!! I can understand though, baby anythings tend to cheer us up no end. As for plants...my guess would be they will try anything and if it tastes ok (???) they'll go back for more. Best of luck with 'em, Nanna B) Just by the way I had 17 babies yesterday... am absolutely knackered now and when I remember where I put my glasses I might even have another look at them :blink: <_<

Edited by FlameDragon

Yeah, baby anythings are great. :)

I caught one of them attacking a small plant, so I popped in an algae pellet for it. I'm thinking about starting them out in a tub, as I don't think the female has enough room to lay her eggs for her liking. Plus it will keep them away from my plants. :)

Oohhh.. what sort of babies? Guppies?

@ Busman - Yep a massive effort, hence knackered and can't find me glasses!! :blink: actually I just popped in as a guest and after reading your comment I was laughing so much I forgot my password... :blush:

@ Shadoh - rolling on the floor?? I hope it was clean, I believe we discussed your housekeeper before :dance:

@ Sarah - yes it was guppies, poor beleaguered (or in this case belaboured) Princess. She is in the fry tank for now, having a well earned rest and totally ignoring the fry. :lol: Nanna xxx

Still no eggs.. apparently the female can wait up until a month to lay.

Oh, and I read that they can and do eat plants, and are even known to eat sponge filters (should have seen how fast I took one out of their tub when I read this). :blink:

They are both in a large plastic tub, with a heater, plants (fake, don't want them munching on them) and a bit of driftwood.

COME ON... I want to get me myself some baby snails already!

Edited by Sarah

LOL... a spawn thread for snails!!!!!

If you want some eggs I can send some to you Sarah.... mine are laying eggs all over the place at the moment ... including climbing out of the tank, crawling up the stands and laying on the posts..... then falling on the concrete floor and cracking their shells (stupid snails)....

I somehow have a mixed batch now... yellow shells with white feet.. yellow shells with blue feet.... and brown shells with blue feet and brown shells with white feet....

keep them fed up nicely on greens or spirulina disks and they will lay for you eventually.... keep an eye out under the glass lids .....

*lol* Matt! Is that a good thing? :blink:

Haven't asked about the limit, I don't think I will incase mum thinks of one. :P Just as many as I can squeeze in my room I guess. My room is pretty big, I've already got rid of a stack of drawers, and a large wardrobe (I had two.. I can live with one), plus various other small things so I could put the 400L in. :)

Thanks for the offer Wayne, but I think I'll just mine lay. :)

They are currently being fed algae pellets, shrimp pellets, any axolotl pellets that my axies decide they don't want, and I had been meaning to raid the crisper. :)