Uh Oh I think I'm addicted - Guppies...

Shannonbjs

Ok believe it or not I have never in my life owned a guppy - got Bettas, ciclids, gouramis, tiger barbs, BN's blah blah blah but never owned a guppy although I always admired them :) so today I was in my mates LFS looking at them all when he told me he would do them for $2.50 each - although all males :) so what do you know I now own 4 guppies for the first time ever and I'm hooked they are so cool just have a touch of ADD with how fast they get around :)

So is there anything special I should know ?? I know thy breed like rabbits - not sure if I will put females in yet we will see :) petty plain tank until I grab some more plants for it lol just a center rock and some java fern :) but man are they cute and colorful :)

Hiya Shannon, congratulations on the Guppies! Don't know a huge amount myself, my guys are in a 3ft well planted community tank. I started with 3 girls and then (Oh! Silly me :blush: ) added a beautiful boy. Yep... they breed like rabbits! A group of boys will co-exist quite happily from what I have read here in the Guppy section. I have a couple of Golden Gouramis and 5 Danios in my tank as well so breeding is not such a problem as it is a matter of survival of the fastest. The ones that aren't eaten by the mother become Gourami snacks and Danio dinners if they can't outrun the bigger guys!! I have noticed in my tank though that guppies are curious, confident little guys and will often school up with the Danios and play chasies. They will eat flake, bloodworms, vegies (love crushed peas) and enjoy plants to nibble and play in. They are peaceful as far as I can tell although don't mix with bettas as the bright colours can act like a red rag to bull!! All in all great little guys, :cheer: you do need to remember though that if you get girls you will need at least 2 for every boy and 3 is better! Jo

Thanks FD :)

Further to my first post I went today to Pick up a couple of females and this certain LFS keep males and females together and OMG the number of fry in the tank was incredible - they far out numbered the adults lol - so in my water bag with the 2 females I have 7 fry - I couldn't just let them go so I took the females and Put them in with the adults and put the fry in a floating breed cage :) I fed them some vinegar eels straight away and they devoured them hahahaha :) not 100% sure if that's what you feed guppy fry but they went crazy for them so I guess I will feed microworms to :) a any suggestions on guppy fry food much appreciated at the moment :) :) I'm very excited - and what a bonus lol 9 fish for the Price of 2 - think I might have to go back there lol :)

597e2c8e.jpg

I think microworms are good fry food. Mine gets the same as the parents as soon as they can eat it... It's the vitapets "betta food". The pellets are tiny and they eat it nicely.

Although I have endlers rather than guppies. But they're about the same... and I'm addicted to Endlers at the moment and I've got two varieties...

my guppy babies were absolute pigs. they ate anything! one even managed to get a large piece of pea stuck in his mouth. He couldn't eat, his mouth was open for days and if i remember correctly i think he died from complications :byebye: so my advice would be to feed small sized food?

and i think adult male guppies release a growth-inhibiting hormone to fry and stunts their growth... which might explain my (only surviving) mini-guppy. but don't hold me up on this because i read this ages ago and i can't remember clearly

good luck! :cheer:

Edited by MT Syndrome

My first fry arrived unnoticed :embarrass: and managed to survive quite well just nibbling algae and eating the finer pieces of adult flake. As I'm more a coincidental/accidental breeder I tend not to worry to much about specific foods. Like I posted previously it's survival of the fastest at my place!! You certainly got a bargain and like MT said they can be little pigs :D and pretty tough to boot. Most of my fry losses from the last batch were from 5 Dragonfly nymphs that somehow got into my tank :censor: but all good now, I got the buggers!! :cheer: Jo

Thanks for all the feedback guys - the fry do seem pretty hardy :) I crushed up some guppy flakes last night and put in the floating fry tank and OMG the little PIGGIES they are lol tiniest fry taking the biggest clumps of flake to the bottom of the floating tank and feasting lol - I have just learnt they are nothing like precious betta fry lol lol :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys - now please excuse my total ignorance in regards to guppies as I just went to my LPS and made the guy fish out of this huge tank a select few guppies.....

What defines/is a tuxedo guppy??? The blue boy is my absolute fave - most amazing stunning blue he is like 3 different shades of blue with metallic baby blue body on the top with HUGE tail compared to my other male guppies but I just don't know how to tell what they are and on that note I don't even know the different colour types at all :) :)