Saltwater (was Seahorses)

Najoha

The other EXCITING little bit of news is I HAVE my seahorses!!!!!!! I was in Qld for the week and popped into a couple of shops and one was Petcity in Mt Gravatt (sp) south side a Brisbane. I don't think I have ever seen so many hard to get species, cold, tropical and salt in one place as well as other pets like insects, spiders, lizards, birds etc. A pair of Macs ($250), Channoides, imbellis, and $20 hms. I was planning hard as to how I was going to get these back to Newcastle 2 days later. I didn't dare ask. And Then.... I found not one little seahorse, not a pair, but TWO TANKs full of three different varieties of captive bred (cb) seahorses. My husband had to pick me up off the floor as I was blocking the narrow isles. Not only that but they had pipefish and several varieties of shrimp (one selling for $130) all cb. My darling husband, after cleaning the slober from the tank glass, suggest we could leave a little later to stop in here on our way home if I would like. IF I WOULD LIKE. Yes we did stop in and after two days of refreshing my memory and research I purchased a pair of Hippocampus Reidi. The male, 'Storm' is black with small white points and the female 'Merinni' is mottled black and grey. I also got a peppermint shrimp and a Red Banded Pipefish (Dunckerocampus dactyliophorus) And my husband was very happy with the price. Well packed and in the esky for the 12 hour trip before release into the saltwater hospital tank that had remained unused. When I transfered them, I found 'Storm' had two little babies with him. wow! but I wasn't prepared for babies and I assumed that they had been caught up in the net from the shop. All the new adults eat frozen mysis shrimp well. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and kept getting up to check the temp of the tank was stable etc. The babies died the next day. But the next day as I came in early to feed them Storm was giving birth! What a wonderful thing to share with my son as we sat and watched the daddy giving birth. Over 20 were born however they are one of the most difficult to raise and three days one we only have 6 alive and all are on the surface having swollowed air. not hopeful I love our newly set up salt water tank but I really love my hospital tank!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Im looking at starting a saltwater setup for seahorses next month only there is so much info out there I'm not really sure what I will need, most sites agree on a protein skimmer but are at odds on needing airstones and UV sterilzers and filters no one seems to agree on whats best also Im not sure what substrate I should place on the bottom of the tank some say sand others say no sand it is all so confusing. I was also told that March is the best time to get seahorses as there is more to choose from and the temp in Cairns is just right.

Please Help!

Tara

Ok I had a look at the tanks for my seahorse set up today when I picked up the tank for my Betta's. I was think of getting a hexagon shape tank about 80 litres, but when I had a look at it I'm pretty sure there wouldnt be enough room at the top for everything I have to put in. So I looked at the 4ft about 150 litres somehow I dont think I could sneak that one home by myself, price was good though only $175 for tank and $75 for stand.

After drooling after the 4 ft tank I think I have found it, it's a 2 ft tank but its quite tall and holds about 80 litres and comes with a stand for only $149, I can definately surprise hubby with that one, so Ill be going back in a few weeks to get it, now I just have to convince my hubby that $500 isnt too much for a chiller :) unless anyone know's where I can get one cheaper for a 80 litre tank and that we do have room for just one more tank. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived