Lepidiolamprologus hecqui spawned....

fishbites

Finally the Lepidiolamprologus hecqui have spawned.... will try to get pics of the proud parents later .... the fry are about 0.5cm long and almost clear colour so hard to see.... there's quite a swarm of them and they've been treated to bbs today for the first time (only noticed them today)....

I had 3 fish but one 'died' - now I'm wondering if the male killed off some competition - but that was about 6 months ago.... they have happily used large mystery snail shells as their homes and a nest....

Just wanted to share the good news.... :D

Edited by fishbites

Well here they are... vid taken on my phone so not great quality ... having had a look at it myself I'm surprised at how many fry there really is....

Didn't know they were in short supply Bill... I got the pair (formerly a trio) from my LFS who had them traded in by someone who didn't want them... I'd always wanted some shellies but no LFS's really carry them round here....

Saying that the other fish was 'persuaded to leave' is a nice way to say he's now 'sleeping with the fishes' LOL.... I love the markings on them - almost like a camouflage pattern but fades out if they get stressed.....

Well if they're hard to find fish in Australia I'm more than happy to make sure they go to someone who will breed them rather than just go to the LFS...

Not sure if these guys travel well but will have to see about that at some stage if I can get them all up to a decent size.... thankfully I have some extra tanks now so growout space isn't a problem....

• 4 weeks later...

Gave these fry a feed of bbs this morning... they've been on frozen bbs and cyclops because I've been too busy/lazy to hatch fresh bbs for them.... that last thread about bbs prompted me to hatch some bbs and have a look at how fat these little things are - gorged themsleves to almost bursting point... the adults helped clean up quite a few too....

Saying that the other fish was 'persuaded to leave' is a nice way to say he's now 'sleeping with the fishes' LOL....

I think you'll find that technically the one that remains is sleeping with the fishes. :lol:

Edited by paul

lol... that shell really did move.... there are a few mystery snails in there to do cleanup work... the large shells are old snails that have died or been attacked by cichlids and have now donated their shells to the shellies...

or.... maybe it was the ghost of those snails moving the shell ??? :P

Sarah... shell dwellers are amazing little cichlids from Lake Tanganyika in Africa.... they are very protective of their young... and excellent parents.... they hide in the shells if they are scared and they actually spawn in the shells too.... these hecqui are fine in a 2ft tank but there's others like multies which are the smallest cichlid I think - quite nice markings and will create quite a nice colony of fish over time.... they usually hang round the bottom of the tank rather than swim higher in the water so can be fine for shallow tanks or to house with a surface swimmer (they like high pH so not good to have with american fish). They are always moving snail shells around and picking up live snails and moving them out of the way as well.... they also excavate in the gravel to part bury shells and in general are fascinating to watch them ....

Remember you only need a small tank .... ask Santa for a tank of shellies for Xmas :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little bit bigger since last update.... have separated fry from parents and wouldn't you know it... female fish is firmly wedged in a shell with the male standing guard and never leaving the immediate vicinity of her shell and haven't noticed him take any food dropped in the tank either.... seems very devoted to his duties.... hoping the fry will emerge soon as the female has been on nesting duty for about a week now and also hasn't eaten that I've seen....

The fry are now tearing flake food apart and feasting on Hikari micro pellets and seem to be "mini me" versions of the parents even down to their behaviours.....

DSCN2742a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Mum and Dad fish have brought the new kids out on show.... a nice little swarm in a crater dug in the sand by the male....

Both parents now rush the glass when they see any of the first spawn come near it in the tank next to them.... the first spawn are now about 2cm long (body length) and getting their distinctive markings and some are showing nice black and white bands on their tails.... really slow growers but then they are only about 7cm long at adult size....

will have to find a bigger tank for all the fry soon!!

Gee you must be psychotic errr I mean psychic Sarah :)

The new guys are feasting on bbs at the moment - doesn't look that many but with white sand and near clear fry its hard to see how many there truly is... parents are vicious towards anything near them including snails....

• 5 months later...

Well these guys have spawned again..... didn't realise until I put my hand in the tank to remove a couple of small snails and without warning the male launched himself at my wrist and arm in what can only be called a savage attack! He was downright viscious. Normally if I put my hand in the tank he scoots straight into his shell.... so this time I knew something was up.....

and sure enough....

tonight I came home from work and the female is at the entrance to her shell and there is a swarm of tiny white fry buzzing round her and the shell.... thankfully I have some frozen bbs so gave them their first feed..... not sure how many there are but could be at least 2 or 3 dozen by the looks of the swarm.....