My Discus are spawning

Beano

Hi everyone, long time no see!

I moved back to Cairns last year and had to give up my oscar, Buzz, you might remember him - he is doing well living at my friends house, splashing litres of water on air conditioning installers and her cat, hilarious!

Anyway, I thought since the water was right up here and I had my new tank still (got a 75G curved corner glass tank after Buzz's tank stand broke), I would try my hand at discus. Anyway, I started off with one, got a 2nd one a week later and a 3rd one maybe 2 weeks after that. I've had them about 6 or 7 weeks. Now two of them have gone and laid eggs last night! This was not planned...

The eggs appear to be turning tan coloured, so I'm guessing they are fertile, we'll see how they go in the mean time, but do I need to do anything special for now? I only have the one tank and had no intention of getting another one, but will the babies grow up in that tank ok? The male doesn't seem to be protecting them as much as he could, him and the female just stare at the eggs, but he's letting the 3rd discus get way too close I think.

Here's a photo of the three:

photo-3.jpg

The white one is the mother and the blue one the father.

very nice and very jealous :)

if you don't have the space to look after the fry, I'd just let nature take it's course and whichever survive to a non-edible size then all the more for you *lol* once they hatch I'd feed as per normal fry with BBS and then bigger things (not sure as to how big Discus fry are and what they eat etc though, so might have to wait for someone a bit more knowledgeable on that front)

Yeah I've seen others mention BBS on other forums. Yeah, I can't look after them to the extent that they would be sellable in the future, so might just see who survives - I was going to buy another one after night shifts end on Monday, but I guess not now!

Edited by Beano

Awww I'm so jealous!!!!!!

I have two Turquoise leaopard discus who are supossed to be a pair.. but aren't... :)

This is all I know about breeding them..

I know discus absolutely LOVE bloodworms, so feeding them frozen bloodworms is the best, cos its also really easy to clean and wont cloud the water. When the babies are hatched and free swimming they will stay by their parents side and they will actually feed them, by secreting a mucous through their skin or something along those lines... then it is recommended that you start feeding them newly htched brine shrimp after 5 days of free swimming.

I think the parents are also taken out because otherwise the young will continue to feed off them.. but im not sure when this is supossed to happen..

I think the tank you have is plenty big for the fry to grow in. Its probably best to have a sponge filter if you dont already just so the little guys dont get sucked up the filter..

But pretty much if you just keep doing water changes and feeding the parents lots you'll be good :)

Anyways I hope this was a little bit of help

Chloe

I know discus absolutely LOVE bloodworms

And Blackworm! lol We used to feed the discus at work blackworm only.

Once again, I can't give any advice either but they are gorgeous. I love discus. If I could afford them I'd get some.

Oh and Welcome Back Beano!! I thought for a minute there we'd never see you again...*phew*

It is all very exciting when you get a pair but if the pair is the cobalt and the melon then I wouldn't even try and raise the fry they will be one big peppered mess. If it is the cobalt and the snow white then this could be a nice mix ( not sure what you will get). Usually the discus end up eating the first few batches of eggs but if they don't then and they make it to free swimmers I will help you out with the next step. They will actually attach to the parents and feed off them. If you can take out the driftwood in your tank as the fry can easily get confused as they attach to the darkest thing in the tank ( that is why the parents turn dark) Just keep an eye on discus number 3 these guys are cichlids and will become very protective of their babies and she could end up getting a beating. Good luck the fry are soo cute

DUH the white one is the mother the blue on is the father :ph34r:

Well I just got home from work (on night shift, booooo), there's less tanned eggs now, but they aren't getting rid of the solid white eggs. They did eat the fungussed up ones though (finally). Anyway, I can't see any eyes yet, hoepfully tonight maybe the eggs will look more like little fishies are inside. Or they migth all be gone. Made the mistake of feeding ox heart a few days ago - they leave residual behind and it fungus's up like anything. The discus delight frozen blocks are much less messy, as are the blood worms.

You wont get eyes you will get little wriggly tails. Discus delight is great but it is very expensive I will give you a recipe if you like it is a bit messy to make but will save you a fortune. As Cassie said they LOVE freeze dried blackworm and it is full of protien brine shrimp another good one but I hear that the bloodworm really doesn't give them all that much although I do feed it a couple of times a week. I look forward to hearing if any of the babies survive.

And Blackworm! lol We used to feed the discus at work blackworm only.

Once again, I can't give any advice either but they are gorgeous. I love discus. If I could afford them I'd get some.

Oh and Welcome Back Beano!! I thought for a minute there we'd never see you again...*phew*

Hey Cass you can get them for about $15 -$25 if you get juvies but you need to keep an eye out for private breeders.