Best way to breed nice guppies?

gulp

I have a large tank that I have just thrown all my guppies into. They can breed with whoever they want and produce whatever they want and I am not fussed. But soon I will be getting some new tanks (addicted :( ) and wondering how other people breed their guppies? I have around 2-3 females per male, the males are very nice, cobra and a silver and blue??? The females are red and some look yellow or green? Not sure if I should just keep them in the one tank and see what happens or I should seperate them into pairs to try to breed for types? Not sure what the best set up would be? I love these little guys, they are full of energy and I can watch them for hours, I have caught the bug, might sell my horses now :P

Jane :((

you need virgin females from a defined strain to line breed guppies. They store sperm for ages, so will keep dropping any fry they were impregnated with by whatever random males were in the vicinity, otherwise. Jodi-Lea (fishchick) is an excellent source of excellent guppies.

lol, yes males do seem rather (single use only)

I have heard alot about this someone (someone) but QLD is a bit far. I know they can be shipped but at what cost money wise and loss of fish wise, never shipped a live animal before?

Will be intersted to get some once I have a few more tanks set up, and learn more about purchasing from such a distance

Jane :(

but at what cost money wise and loss of fish wise

Hello Jane, Small fish nearly always travel very well when properly packed. I have recieved and sent quite a few fish thru the eastern states of Australia via courier and not lost a single fish. The cost is usually $25 to $30 for as many fishbags as will fit into a small foam esky. During winter a special heat-pack is usually put into the esky to keep the fish warm.

Cheers, Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

Breeding beautiful guppies is easy, as long as you start with quality strains, have 6+ tanks going, seperate sexes soon after birth, keep anal records, and have a lot of time to spare. :(

Good luck! I was really into guppies for a few years. Make sure you read all you can about the specific genetics of your strains or you may be trying to do the impossible.