Super red paradise fish

killiguy

Ive been given a group of so called German"super red "paradise fish by a wholesaler to breed.He tells me they maybe the last in the country having dwindled over the decades(but no pressure of course)Ive spawned 20 odd anabantids,gouramis and Bettas but not a paradise fish.I cant find any info on them but assume they are selectively bred like blacks and apricots.I plan to breed them as per gourami,at present they are in a 250L tank as I gather they can be nasty.Any experience breeding any paradise fish would be appreciated.I live in Victoria as I gather there are different regulations for different states re selling these things

Black paradise are Macropodus spechti...different species to common paradise

Apricots are a line breed Macropodus opercularis

Haven't heard of "Super Red"....but they are probably also line bred Macropodus opercularis

All paradise are best kept outdoors.....they suffer from disease if kept constantly warm

I bred mine in a heavily planted 2 foot tank....on a outdoor table in our front courtyard

Not hard to breed....feed well....regular water changes

but you must have one of each sex... :)

I'd Love some Macropodus ocellatus......Roundtail Paradise!

Thanks Rod,I wasnt aware the black paradise fish has finally been accepted as a full species(but Im not that up on these fish as I say)These red fellows are very attractive and I do plan to raise them out doors.III disconnect the heater on your advice,they are in a fairly cool converted garage on the bottom row.III let you know how they go

Doug

I ordered 6 of these for Work ( $39.90 each ) as I wanted to also see what they were like. Very Nice Fish and about twice as aggressive as the Normal Paradise Fish. I'm VERY Jealous to hear you got some females as I was fortunate enough to get a female Common Blue and bred these last year in my 8,000 litre Pond. For what I was told they come from Europe???? Very Interested in any spare Females you may have if you ever want to share the Breeding Possiblities.

I believe there are some special regulations pertaining to Qld.Male only sale ??Is that correct??

I have about 8 and i assume there are females although Ive only had them a few days and that is still to be proven,they seem docile to me but they are in a 4x2x2 tank.As I mentioned I was told these were the only breeders left in Aus and of German origin. Im not quite sure why I inhertited them,I just cant refuse a fish.

Given I was sent these at no cost all fry will go back to Bayfish wholesalers Melbourne ,thats always been my rule.

III try and photograph them,Im told the males are stunning in breeding dress--super red!!

Doug

I believe there are some special regulations pertaining to Qld.Male only sale ??Is that correct??

Both Paradise Females and Rosy Barb Females were removed from the Import List about 30 years ago and since then only Males have ever been sold in LFS so Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all States would have the same deal where both these fish are supplied as Males only??? Last Night while sitting out on my Deck feeding the 1500 fish in my pond I was Excited to see I have my first Rosy Barb fry at 20mm in length!!! Was fortunate enough to find a person that had 2 females and bought these in August for my 6 males to interact with :-)

The 6 Super Reds I have are about 75 to 80mm in size and all coloured up so I know there isn't any females in the batch here.

III enquire with Bay what the story is,but I know there are conciderable variation in regulations between states(eg the Koi,texas cichlid issue between Vic and NSW).Looking at my fish all have good colour but a couple have much shorter fins,I will isolate these condition them then pop a male in--eggs or carnage Id say.I must say they have great personality,a neglected fish perhaps

All imports of paradise fish are supposed to be male only.

What actually gets checked is another thing, particularly for the southern states. QLD AQIS is somewhat more vigorous in its application of the law.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casec...SessionID=0#top

Hope you do well with these. We have apricots outside and they survive and breed with no care from us!

Cheers, someone

Thanks someone thats helpful.Im not sure any of these fish are females,only time will tell.It must be very difficult with this type as what I assume to be females are very colourful just lack the flowing fins.

I wont be selling any progeny privately as these are not my fish they belong to Bayfish,they can sort out the female issue if I have any success

Doug

• 1 month later...

Got my Super Red with young. They Laid on Friday, Hatched on Sunday and today removed the Female so I can condition her up again. Just threw them in a Foam Box that we get the fish in and half filled it with water and sat it in the garage. Very Exciting :-)

• 4 weeks later...