Glolight Tetra

KillieOrCory

The eggs will need an egg bouncer or some form of curent flowing over them and raise the fry as for all small fish fry, e.g inforusia, MW's and BBS. Try a google search on spawning danios and the method will be the same at the fry raising stage.

In the past when i have ACCIDENTLY bred tetras they spawned on some java moss or on the substrate and the filter was enough of a curet to keep them good. I usually just removed the parents. and in a couple of days had a nice hatch of the little buggers

since you have handled them i would also use a funguside to treat the water incase you have introduced bacteria

Also if you dont have a worm culture i could post you a starter.

have fun and let me know how you go with them.

Cheers

Deano

Thanks guys!

I've never tried to breed tetras before, so this is a bit exciting for me.

I've listened to a aquarium radio show and the guest on the show was commenting on the number of people regularly attending aquarium society meetings and his opinions on why there has been a decline. Apart from some other factors he higlighted the fact that there are fewer people interested in; or actively, breeding fish then a decade or two ago. His solution to having more people attend the regular meetings is to have more fish available to auction at these meetings.

I tend to agree in that these days there are fewer bags of fish offered for sale in the meetings than before. The reason why I became particularly interested in certain fish was purely because they were available at the local aquarium society auction and I just though I'll try them.

Anyway to cut a long story short I decide in the next 12 months I am actively going to participate in the Breeders Award program of my local aquarium society (CDAS) and as a result hope to have surplus fish in the auctions. With this in mind I got the Glolight Tetra's.

I read that Glolights are among the easier tetras to breed, as they have been captive bred for countless generations. They are pretty as well :rolleyes:

Anyway I found a bunch of mature Glolights at my favourite aquarium store and bought 2 males and 2 females. Setup a breeder net with some moss in it, and the fish went directly from the bag from the shop into the breeding net!!! Yes, yes I am impatient!!!

Fed them well the next couple of days and then I magically had a spawning!

To breed them I modified a fish net breeder. I cut the bottom part of the net, and fixed a plastic mesh grid to the bottom part of the frame.

IMG_00901.jpg

Then I put some moss in as in the photo.

The fish net breeder is then put in a tank with no fish in it

IMG_00841.jpg

I found the eggs of the Glolights were rather sticky and many (most?) did not fall through. So I used a pipette to remove the eggs and squirted them back into the tank. I just put a few in a plastic container that I photographed for the original post. I then transferred the eggs into the tank as well.

In the same tank I have two such setups

IMG_00851.jpg

The left had White Clouds and the right Glolights.

The tank has fry on the surface now! :D

Edited by KillieOrCory

GREEEEAAAT Reply, hope you are having fun with the fry. Iv always lookes at keeping fish as having a responsibility to breed and keep the bloodlines going. Without all the backyard breeders the fish trade in OZ would be severly diminished and fish prices through the roof.

Its been years since I spawned these guys but I recall doing it in the same manner as Neon tetras,cardinals etc.Alot of the tetra eggs are photosensitive so you may have some problems there.I didnt use any current or flow but left the eggs to hatch in the darkened aquarium(2 gallon)underneath a spawning grait.They hang about like little slivers of glass for 4-5 days then feed on small foods,I used paramecium which they ate and didnt foul the tank.All tetra fry are very sensitive at the start to water fouling and I never had much success with liquifry and the like.I put a sponge filter in gently runnung when free swimming.After about 2 weeks they would eat BBS and become quite hardy(unlike cardinals)

GREEEEAAAT Reply, hope you are having fun with the fry.

Thank you, actually I really enjoy this part of the hobby.

That is SO cool!!!

do you think that would work for neons? im assuming the tetras would be thesame???

I don't see why not. I thought about neons but they can be a bit sensitive if they are not from a good source. When they are though they are very hardy. Might still try them though. Hmmm how many points is it to breed neons? :rolleyes:

Alot of the tetra eggs are photosensitive so you may have some problems there.

Hi Doug, yeah that's what I've been worried about. I wonder though if their photo-sensitivity comes from being in sterile environment, ie temporary breeding tank. Whether the bacteria etc cause the eggs to go bad and in an established tank the water would be "sweet" with lots of micro-organisms competing with each other. Or it is purely on cellular level and the light interrupt cell division.

Either way I hope all the fry swimming around are not WhiteClouds, and some are Glolights as well. Actually, come to think of it the fry I see must be WhiteClouds as they are already free swimming!!! The WhiteCLouds were in the breeding net 4 days already before the Glolights went in. Hmmm I just need 3 fry to grow to 30day mark to claim my breeders points according to CDAS Breeders Awards rules. Wouldn't mind a tank of 50-60 Glolights though!!!

This is great stuff Serkan! Not enough people breed tetras. I certainly never have.

White clouds is another story . . . :rolleyes: I prefer the long finned variety.

Other tetras that are supposed to be easy-ish to breed are the pristella and lemon tetras.

Interesting point about light sensitivity Serkan, it seems to be a common thing raised about tetra eggs, but I have no idea about the specific mechanism.

• 1 month later...

A quick update: I now have 15+ Glolight fry. I know it is not many but I can't say that I've spent much effort, apart from setting the tank up with the breeder net. The largest around 1.5cm long now and they look like miniature versions of their parents, cute! :D

Edited by KillieOrCory

Well done Serkan they were very cute when I saw them a few weeks ago.This result must mean Glolight eggs are not light sensitive and thinking back other tetras Ive spawned (black widows,pristellas,headand tail lights etc)these were not light sensitive.Does anyone know other tetras apart from Neons and cardinals that need dakness for eggs and fry??

Ive bought a school of Congo tetras and hope to have a crack at breeding them.Its been along time since I spawned a tetra.Im not sure if these need darkness.