Mollies, anybody?!

miha1967

I added 4 black mollies and 2 gold dust (2 males, 4 females) to the community tank about three weeks ago and my tank is full of baby black mollies now! They are so cute but I will have to get rid of them at some stage. Anybody interested? The lfs guy claims that thei are special kind of mollies, they will not grow as big as normal ones and they don't need brackish water. I'm sure any mollie can live in freshwater but would do better with a bit of salt. He claimed that they will eat the algae in the tank and will not eat other kind of food so the waste they produce would be harmless and they would clean the tank. Isn't this completely bull....?

They eat pretty much anything, flakes, pellets, veggies, frozen bloodworms, brineshrimp. The fry eat as well from day 1. I love them, they are great to watch, they will just be too many when the little one will grow up.

Mihaela

Gorgeous! I would love some but am in melb :( Owell. They are great fish, i have two balloon mollies and she had bubs about 2wks after i got her.

Male is a marbley type, white with black balloon.

Female is a pearlwhite lyretail balloon molly

Four babies (obviously not to him as he was from another shop)

- pearl female

- pearl female lyretail

- grey with yellow face lyretail female

- pearl male

i love them. Had them for two months almost? Maybe? Female hasnt dropped any more so guessing its not ideal for breeding. but they are cool arent they?

:D

Good luck rehoming the babies. Cute fish, shouldnt have problem :D

Am also leaning towards BS too. I've been breeding most types of mollies on and off for over 30yrs (and no i'm not giving away my age) makes me wonder what he tells to people new to the hobby. cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mihaela, I have seen mini mollies in Cairns.. can't remember where though.

and yeah I think the story about them being a cleaner is BS would be interesting to know who said it. some fish people are so dodgy!

I would take some once we've gotten our pond sorted out, but they may be gone by then.

Paul on Mulgrave Rd opposite WOW said he'd buy mollies off me if i got into breeding them, so you could always give him a call and see what he says.

Goodluck!