6ft Tank Stand

Em

Got sick of the stand that came with my 6ft tank so after some searching I found a good plan on this site DIY Tank Stand and got all my measurements.

Last week I went to Bunnings and got what I needed... although I confused the timber guy cause he thought my measurements were in cm's (as most women apparently work in cm's :fun:) but everything was in mm's (I DID do woodwork at school I know measurements should be in mm's)

The frame is 90 x 45mm structural pine (the old 2x4) and the top is 19mm DAR pine. All supports have been secured with long screws as well as wood glue and the legs are bolted on. I'm very happy with the result although I'll need to put some plywood or something around the sides to hide the frame plus a few bits to act as a lip around the base of the tank.

newstand2.jpg

Upside down stand

newstand3.jpg

Right way up, with pine screwed on top

newstand4.jpg

Tank on top of 19mm foam

ntank3.jpg

Gravel added and filling up.

When Big Red is added at the end of the week I'll take some more photos

Edited by Em

Could've done that Peter, but we (mum and I) wanted it up and running before I head back to college, we're going to do some more when I come back up in July. Plus I kinda like the rustic look :lol:

Nothing gets me going more than a good, solidly built stand! Well...to be honest there are a few things that get me going more than a solidly built stand, but thats a different story! :lol:

Nice work! Good to finally meet a chick that can talk dimensions properly!! ;)

haha Em, I had the same problem with my ex. He's a wood machinist and for years I've had to deal with him telling me about measuring stuff etc so I know how to give dimensions for measurements and called him one day at work, asking that he bring me home a piece of perspex of certain dimensions..he assumed I'd given them to him in the wrong order..i gave them to him in the order of L, W, H which is the correct order.. he reversed the H and W and I ended up with a very odd looking piece of perspex indeed. Why do men just assume that we women know nothing when it comes to traditionally 'male' things? I for one am a single mother so I've had to wear the pants and the skirt in my household for years now which means I know how to change a light globe, unscrew the S-bend under the sink (had to save many a fry from the sink). I also know how to use a cordless drill and change the drill pieces. Just coz I don't drink beer doesn't mean I'm not capable of doing manly things you know!!! lol.. I can also install my own computer parts and fix software issues better than he can and he claims to be the know-it-all about computers.. I love proving his pre-conceptions of me wrong! it's fun

xxxxx good luck at college...bring me back some dr pepper, pop tarts, twinkies and dr pepper flav jelly belly's please! :lol:

Edited by Fighters4U

I know what you mean when it comes to 'male' things. I fix my own car and do general servicing (change oil and filter etc) but guys don't seem to believe i do it :D

Anyways I really do love the stand :lol:

I posted this one another forum that I occasionally frequent and got told "You need more supports, it's going to move sideways etc".... I just keep thinking that the timber is the exact same pine that decks, balconies and even roofs are made from, so I don't think a mere 350kg is gonna make 8 solid timber legs are going to move anywhere in the next 3 months when I get back and add some ply around the back and sides.

I think this board is filled with independant women, go us!

And Lilli, I'm back to college on Monday... I won't be milking for a while but I'll say hi to the cows when they're in the paddock outside my room :love:

It has squared corners, bolts and bracing pieces, I'm not sure exactly where they think it is going to move to :love: I'd maybe whack in some triangle braces, but I doubt it needs them at all. They could be right about the sideways thing, but it would be such a slow move that you'd have time to just drain it, shove it back and add some bolts from the short sides *shrug*. Hardly a big deal and probably not ever going to be necessary. Most tank stands you buy are 4 short screws, brads and glue, and nobody ever complains about those. I'm sure it'll be fine ;)

It looks fantastic :) I'm looking forward to seeing it with all of its doors and trimmings :)